Brewery Scaling?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DethApostle
Piss Artist

Brewery Scaling?

Post by DethApostle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm

So I'm now able to start buying/building my 3rd brewery but unfortunately because I've been spoiled with the out-of-the-box setup of the Grainfather I've forgotten the ratios for pot sizes!

I am aiming to get a 38.5l Mash Tun from another JBK user so the first question is...
1) Are 56l HLT and Kettle more appropriately sized for this MT than 38.5l Kettles?
2) What is the 'normal' final brewlength from a 56l pot?
3) Can you forsee any issues using 38.5l kettles along with the same size mashtun?

ps. I have no plans at all in the future to go bigger volume as I prefer to brew smaller and more often. The 'buy big, buy once' argument isn't for me.
pps. I brew all sorts of styles so my kit needs to have capacity for high ABV beers
ppps. My ideal brewlength is c. 26l (1 full corny and 12 500ml bottles)

Thanks in advance!
DA
Demon Valley Brewing
2012 - 2020
--------------------------------
Total Brewed: 2560 pints

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Brewery Scaling?

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:44 pm

This may be a naive question, but why do you want to change from a Grainfather? My last couple of brews have resulted in 26 - 27 L into the 30 L fermenting vessel, which was a bit tight, but the Grainfather managed that brew length. I did collect the extra Sparge runnings and add in aliquots late in the boil and both batches were quite lightly hopped, which obviously makes a difference to total volume as there was relatively little hop / trub wastage.

P. S. If you like brewing smaller batches, more often, wouldn’t a second fermenting vessel be a better option?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Same thought as "Kingfisher4". I've got a Grainfather to supplement my three vessel (soon to be four vessel!) brewery. The Grainfather does the making up to 30L at a time, the main brewery knocks out 40-70L. Sort of makes my Grainfather the "pilot" brewery (once upon a time we used to be happy with a bucket and can of Boots extract).

But you seem to want a brewery to replace the Grainfather, not supplement it? What might you gain from that?

(EDIT: Scratch this, I've just seen that you've sold the Grainfather. Too late to question the wisdom now.)
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:59 pm

My volumes are too big for you, but same logic applies if scaled back.

I have 70L+70L+100L (HLT, Mashtun, Boiler).

Boiler should be x2 intended brew length to avoid boil overs, but you can get away with x1.5 … just.

HLT is often quoted as same size as boiler, but if using HERMS the mash water can be heated in the mashtun and a smaller HLT (size of mashtun) used.

Mashtun at 70% of boiler volume will be good for anything. But I chose this size because it fitted with available pots. Next size down would have been 50% of boiler volume which would have been too small.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:45 pm

PeeBee wrote:Same thought as "Kingfisher4". I've got a Grainfather to supplement my three vessel (soon to be four vessel!) brewery. The Grainfather does the making up to 30L at a time, the main brewery knocks out 40-70L. Sort of makes my Grainfather the "pilot" brewery (once upon a time we used to be happy with a bucket and can of Boots extract).

But you seem to want a brewery to replace the Grainfather, not supplement it? What might you gain from that?

(EDIT: Scratch this, I've just seen that you've sold the Grainfather. Too late to question the wisdom now.)
I’m exactly the same PeeBee but I use the Master Brewer just to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 pm

I've got a 70L HLT, 50L mash tun & 100L Boiler.... I.can brew 15 gallon at around 4.5%
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 am

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 pm
I've got a 70L HLT, 50L mash tun & 100L Boiler.... I.can brew 15 gallon at around 4.5%
Guess that proves my earlier assumption that I might want a bigger mashtun than 50L ... except; I've never brewed anything stronger than 4% in a 15 gallon batch. Ah well, it's all down to me being able to make the grandest boasts; until someone comes by with an even bigger home brewery and then I have to leave the room with tail 'tween legs ... hang on, is that a dog biscuit? I'll be back later ...

DethApostle
Piss Artist

Post by DethApostle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 am

Thanks all.

To answer the questions about why I'm selling the Grainfather, I want to move back to 3vessels because it's a little more involved during the brewday and feels a bit more like a 'proper' brewery. Don't get me wrong, the grainfather is a good bit of kit, and was exactly what I needed to keep me brewing while my daughter was a toddler, but now I'm able to get a bit more dedicated me time I want to go back to a more hands on brew day,!
A very personal decision I know so might not look like the obvious route to some!

Cheers
DA
Demon Valley Brewing
2012 - 2020

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 am

Alexa,
Define `Aliquots` please.
Ah, got it, thank you Alexa.
MrsAles thinks I am mad saying `Please` and `Thank You` to Alexa. :D :D

WA

Sent from my Sofa.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am

WalesAles wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 am
Alexa,

WA

Sent from my Sofa.
Maybe not mad but perhaps just a little unwise having a spy in your house.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 am

DethApostle wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 am
Thanks all.

To answer the questions about why I'm selling the Grainfather, I want to move back to 3vessels because it's a little more involved during the brewday and feels a bit more like a 'proper' brewery. Don't get me wrong, the grainfather is a good bit of kit, and was exactly what I needed to keep me brewing while my daughter was a toddler, but now I'm able to get a bit more dedicated me time I want to go back to a more hands on brew day,!
A very personal decision I know so might not look like the obvious route to some!

Cheers
DA
Makes perfect sense, no experience with anything but the Grainfather yet, but certainly understand the multi vessel kit concept.

DethApostle
Piss Artist

Post by DethApostle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 am

WalesAles wrote:
Alexa,

WA

Sent from my Sofa.
Ok... you lost me WA!

Anyhoo... think I'm going to settle for 3x 38.5l vessels. A larger Mashtun gives me lots of range for high ABV beers and I think a 38.5l kettle should yield a brew length of roughly what I am aiming for.
I'll be brewing indoors and can insulate the pots if needed to minimise boil off as much as possible if it's an issue... or use 330ml bottles instead if I can't squeeze 12x 500ml's along with the corny!

DA
Demon Valley Brewing
2012 - 2020

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 pm

DethApostle wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 am
WalesAles wrote:
Alexa,

WA

Sent from my Sofa.
Ok... you lost me WA!
DA,
I did not know what`Aliquots` were/are, so instead of Googling it, I asked Alexa! :D

WA

Sent from my Tap that won`t tork.