Replacing S30 valve

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
RobP
Steady Drinker

Replacing S30 valve

Post by RobP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 pm

The S30 valve on my King Keg drives me mad. It's just too much effort to keep it working reliably so I'm looking around for a way to be rid of it but still use the King Keg, not interested in moving to Cornies.

Does anyone know of a way of doing this? I can't be the only person to have thought about it but I can't find anything on-line anywhere. I've considered pressure release "spunding" valves like this (I know this supplier's out of stock of these products)
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... ith-gauge/
and the corny keg style ball-lock bulkhead assembly which would at least allow gas injection as well as fitting the spunding valve.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... -assembly/
but I don't think it's possible to get a King-Keg 4" cap without a hole so I guess I need something that fits into a 15mm hole (or larger, I can make the hole bigger).

Is it the case I'm going to get grief from valves, whatever I use, so get on with it.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Replacing S30 valve

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:04 pm

What's the problem with the S30 valve?

Guy

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:20 pm

It hardly ever works properly. I'm forever messing with seals and re-priming beer.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Have you managed to work out where the gas is leaking from?

Guy

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Through the valve. It works ok as long as the seals are newish and in the right place and I've screwed the valve into place at the right tightness, tight enough to stop gas escaping and not so tight the rubber washer distorts. There are too many variables and it's too annoying.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:37 pm

RobP wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:57 pm
Through the valve. It works ok as long as the seals are newish and in the right place and I've screwed the valve into place at the right tightness, tight enough to stop gas escaping and not so tight the rubber washer distorts. There are too many variables and it's too annoying.
I'd suggest it might not be the right washer for the job. I've been chasing my tail a while with what I thought must be the S30 valve leaking, but it transpired to be a very small break in a joint in a cheap Wilko barrel, Like you, there were times I though it was fixed for several days, even a week and then to assume it could only be the valve as that was the only place that leaked when full pressure was applied. Even tried replacing the valve with a new one to then begin doubting myself.

Good luck.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Replace it with a Corny keg has in post, job done :)

Aamcle

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 pm

aamcle wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Aamcle
I knew someone would

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am

RobP wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 pm
aamcle wrote:

Aamcle
I knew someone would
I think that there is a typo error here it should read "GAS in post"

The problem will almost certainly be in one of two places. The small seal ( the one like an old style bicycle valve) or the four inch seal on the lid.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am

There is a thread on here sometime ago, on a similar subject. I can’t find it from my phone currently, but will try later, if you haven’t found it. The recommendation was essentially to replace the standard king keg lid and S30valve with a product made by Balliihoo. It is the four-inch With replacement high-quality S 30 valve and pressure gauge.

It is apparently much better quality and more reliable, I have not yet tried it personally, but that might be another potential much cheaper avenue. I think it was approximately £17.
76543A54-B294-4AB4-AEB9-E6B2349E949C.png
Replacement cap

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am
RobP wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 pm
aamcle wrote:

Aamcle
I knew someone would
I think that there is a typo error here it should read "GAS in post"

The problem will almost certainly be in one of two places. The small seal ( the one like an old style bicycle valve) or the four inch seal on the lid.
I change the seals every few brews.

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am
There is a thread on here sometime ago, on a similar subject. I can’t find it from my phone currently, but will try later, if you haven’t found it. The recommendation was essentially to replace the standard king keg lid and S30valve with a product made by Balliihoo. It is the four-inch With replacement high-quality S 30 valve and pressure gauge.

It is apparently much better quality and more reliable, I have not yet tried it personally, but that might be another potential much cheaper avenue. I think it was approximately £17.

76543A54-B294-4AB4-AEB9-E6B2349E949C.png
I considered one of those. I can see the value of the shrader valve to keep a check on the pressure but the S30 valve is just an S30 valve and that is the thing I would like to get rid of.
Incidentally, a Shrader valve with a tyre pressure indicator wouldn't cost much, it just needs a hole drilled. If you already have an S30 valve you can get a cap with just the Shrader valve, use the S30 you already have, no point buying another.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:30 am

I have used stainless steel car tyre Schrader valves on barrels both to blow Co2 in and to check the pressure, they worked well.

But I was never sure they actually were stainless, the valves I bought were sold as stainless however when one showed signs of corrosion I cut it and found Brass!!

Atb. Alan

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:50 pm

It seems available technology has moved on since starting this thread and I've found a solution I'm more or less happy with.

I bought a new lid for the King Keg, can't get them without holes so I've had to use the centre hole rather than drill two holes. It looks lop-sided.
The valve in the centre is an s30 inlet only valve so I can use short bursts with an adapted Sodastream bottle to pressurise when I need to.
https://www.brewstore.co.uk/s30-inlet-o ... ornie-kegs
Bought a corny type post with a bulkhead, needed to find a better silicon washer and needed to change the seal at the top of the post because it leaked from everywhere.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Liquid-B ... 1694303679
Quick disconnect with ffl thread to attach to the post.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-Lock-Di ... Sw~mBdmAy4
and a spunding valve, I had one of these already, mine came without the quick disconnect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keg-Spunding ... SwavRdmP9d
If I was buying a spunding valve now, I'd try one of these, I may still do that.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blowtie-Diap ... SwW6tdieXY