blichmann plate chiller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
hopit
Steady Drinker

blichmann plate chiller

Post by hopit » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:51 pm

I have started using my plate chiller again after a long hiatus. Maybe it's always done this, but after flushing it, every time its turned upside down and back it gurgles until it eventually drips dry after a day or so. I cant remember for life of me if it's always done this or not so thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed this in their plate chillers. Just wondering if some crap has got stuck in there or if it's normal.

Cheers

IPA
Under the Table

Re: blichmann plate chiller

Post by IPA » Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 am

I am not sure about a Blichmann but a standard plate chiller should drain immediately when stood on end. Try filling it with a hot solution of VWP and leave it overnight. Then flush it in both directions by connecting it to a shower hose or something similar. Collect the flushed water and see if it contains any debris. Always flush it this way IMMEDIATELY after use with hot water.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

FWIW, my Blichmann Therminator was just the same, but unfortunately I can't say if this is normal for new ones since I bought it second hand. Either way, they drain differently to standard plate chillers.
Kev

hopit
Steady Drinker

Post by hopit » Wed May 01, 2019 8:15 pm

I have a dedicated quick connect and always rinse backwards with hot water for at least 15 minutes immediately after brewing.

I will do a PBW loop with a pump, but maybe it's normal to gurgle I guess? Never had any infection or flavour issues so far

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:50 pm

If you sterilise it in a big pressure cooker at about 16psi, or else in the oven given more time, then you'll not get an infection even if it is quite dirty inside. In some ways this is better than some other types/sizes of cooler that can only be sanitised.

Though if it isn't being used with a fine enough filter (e.g. No. 40 mesh) then trapped particles could build up and reduce performance, in extreme cases perhaps affect flavour. Prevention is really the key thing with plate chillers; belated cure is difficult.

The PBW is very good for routine cleaning. For occasional deep cleans you could also try high quality dishwasher tablets and to deal with scale something like diluted citric or phosphoric acid.
Kev

hopit
Steady Drinker

Post by hopit » Thu May 02, 2019 11:31 am

On brew day I always just re-circulate boiling wort for 15 mins or so and never had a problem. I reckon it's probably fine inside but just find the gurgling noise odd. If love to know if more people have experienced this. I might email blichmann about it.

In terms of scale, occasionally I run starsan through it (and also over it) and it seems to come up pretty shiny.

hopit
Steady Drinker

Post by hopit » Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 am

Also have bought some PWB I am just going use on the chiller. Will carry using oxiclean for everything else

hopit
Steady Drinker

Post by hopit » Thu May 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Just for anyone who interested, Blichmann got back to me and said this is normal and wait for it to drip out with the outlets at the bottom, then flip so the outlets are at the top and let any remaining evaporate out.

So gurgling is expected!

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks; that makes sense and is more or less what I expected but it is still useful to hear the official line.
Kev