Some Brew Panel questions

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jamieN
Steady Drinker

Re: Some Brew Panel questions

Post by jamieN » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Good point. ID each cable and connector so at a glance will make sure they are in the correct place.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:12 pm

For 2x elements 2x pumps at 240v what's to stop and accidental plug in on the wrong socket.
nothing,but you aint shoving 240V up something thats only designed for 5V,the only risk is an element or motor being on when it shouldn't.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:39 pm

If it worries you (e.g. the pump outlets might be overloaded if an element were connected) then use a different socket/plug for the pumps. I prefer to use the powercon True1 connectors for the elements, but many other types would cope with the pumps. Possibly the original blue/grey powercons or IEC types etc.
Kev

jamieN
Steady Drinker

Post by jamieN » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm

The true 1 sound good for elements only as the element selector switch in theory will be off when not used. And it's the biggest power use.
I thought the blue/grey are an out/in only or can the power go both ways.

LeeH
Under the Table

Some Brew Panel questions

Post by LeeH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:44 pm

You’re over thinking this! Nobody is going to die if you get your pump and element mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

jamieN
Steady Drinker

Post by jamieN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 am

Can see the local paper now "HOMEBREWER GOT A SHOCK FROM NEW BREW RIG" quote from neighbour's I always wonder ed why he was up early on his day off and steam coming from his garage door.
Joking aside better to be safe not sorry.
Now to start ordering the parts.
More questions will follow I'm sure of that.

Jamie

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:35 am

It isn't so much a question of electric shock, as (if I understand correctly) both the pumps and the elements are the same voltage so neither would be harmed or electrocute anyone if mixed up. It would mainly be an advantage to prevent this if the lower powered pump control circuit would be overloaded (in terms of current) should an element accidentally be connected to it, causing damage and potentially fire if there is insufficient overload protection.

That said, I've still gone with the true1 connectors throughout and just rely on visually labelled/coloured leads to avoid problems. Plus a small quick-blow fuse for the pump circuit, which I hope may blow instead of the 4amp SSR if I still manage to connect a thumping great element by mistake - (it may or may not, but should at least avoid any bonfires).
Kev

jamieN
Steady Drinker

Post by jamieN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Just seen some powercon top they would do for power in and then true 1 for others with some colour coded chassis gaskets and sleeving for flex with a small quick-blow fuse.