Cooling system

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wilfh
Piss Artist

Cooling system

Post by wilfh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Hello all,

I am looking to keep an insulated area cool for storing beverages in the warm weather. It’s about 2 cubic meters and well insulated and I am trying to work out what would be the most efficient way to do this. Space is at a premium so using an old fridge is not an option and whatever I use will have to be suspended on the wall. I would like to knock the temp down about 10-15 degrees at most and already have an inkbird temp probe.

I have seen something online about peltier coolers which might work but not been of an electrical bent am unsure whether this is the best option or how big I should be looking out.

Has anyone does this before and what were the best options.

Cheers

Wilf

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Cooling system

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Two cubic meters is a good size. Gives you 2 x1 x1.

My solution was to build an insulated cupboard and fit a condenser plate (the things you see at the back of 'fridges) with the compressor outside. Keeps the cupboard at a lovely 12°C +/- 2°C

Guy

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:00 pm

One possible solution would be to mount the top part of a electric cool box to drop the temperature.

But they're noisy and use a lot of power with respect to the amount of cooling they produce.

Atb. Aamcle

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Can you buy a compressor plate as a unit?
Thanks
Wilf

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Here's a link to the series of posts I did about creating the cooler cupboard and indoor brewery.

The condenser plate and compressor were supplied and fitted by a cooling engineer. It cost about £1,100. Pricey, but well worth it. It's lovely to be able to draw a pint at about 12°C on these warm afternoons. In fact, I think I'll go get one now!

Guy

vacant

Post by vacant » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:37 am

What about passive cooling like an old fashioned ice house?

ISTR a few ice packs in a cool box (maybe 5% of the volume of the box?) kept dairy stuff cool for two days on camping trips in hot summers. You're only needing to go to 12C and your storage is in the shade so ice should last longer. It's up to you to decide what "works" i.e. storage box/tray of ice needs to be swapped not more than once every "x" days.

https://theboatgalley.com/ice-box-cooler-food-storage/

I'd be tempted to have ice container covering a shelf at the top to let cold air fall. Bottles pre-cooled before storage I guess.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 pm
Here's a link to the series of posts I did about creating the cooler cupboard and indoor brewery.

The condenser plate and compressor were supplied and fitted by a cooling engineer. It cost about £1,100. Pricey, but well worth it. It's lovely to be able to draw a pint at about 12°C on these warm afternoons. In fact, I think I'll go get one now!

Guy
Cracking! Wish that was posted a few years ago before when I tackled the problem (cool beer but no room for kegerator).

I insulated all my Corny kegs with neoprene (about 18mm) with three turns of PVC tubing built in. The tubing is fed by the python lines of a shelf cooler which keeps the kegs cool (but the cooler must be switched on for 15 minutes every two hours during the day - on timer switch). Three turns wasn't really enough, if I was doing it again I'd probably double that (but that would really complicate putting the neoprene on). The beer goes through the product lines of the shelf cooler if it needs to be colder.

So £1,100 seems pricey, but the hours of work I put into possibly a less suitable solution puts that eleven hundred quid into perspective.

And my shelf cooler was dying the other week and Norman has relieved me of £230 to replace it (Maxi 310).
Last edited by PeeBee on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:49 am

PeeBee wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm
Norman has relieved me of £230 to replace it (Maxi 310).
Bloody Norman, He`s only there for the Beer! :D
I meant to say Money.

WA