Inkbird Grommet

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ChrisA
Sober

Inkbird Grommet

Post by ChrisA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:24 pm

I have just received my Inkbird ITC-308S temperature controller with the 12inch probe that I will be inserting into my fermenting beer through a small hole I intend to drill in the plastic FV lid.

The probe is 6mm in diameter so I foolishly assumed that I would easily be able to source food grade grommets (similar to the ones used for the airlocks) but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I have found some on eBay that are used for cabling https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263025515372?ul_noapp=true but I was really keen to purchase BPA free / food safe versions?

Surely this is a common problem? The only other option I have seen is some people using a thermowell but it is overkill for what I require.

Cheers Chris

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Inkbird Grommet

Post by alexlark » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:31 pm

As long as they are not in contact with the beer it will be fine. I've been using o rings for the same job and no issues here.

ChrisA
Sober

Post by ChrisA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 pm

During the first few days of fermentation the beer foams pretty vigorously and always touches the top of the FV.

In an ideal world I was trying to find a food safe and airtight solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:51 pm

I don't happen to know of such grommets, but another method would be to use a bung.

It would probably need a bigger hole in the lid, but bungs are available in numerous materials and sizes, so there seems a fair chance of finding one that suits. Failing that, you could attempt to drill your own hole in a solid one (typically using a sharpened bit of metal tube to cut out a core, rather than a drill bit).

Though it must be said, just the foam touching a fairly tiny bit of rubber for a day or two doesn't seem much of a risk, if you end up using a standard grommet.
Kev

ChrisA
Sober

Post by ChrisA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice Kev.

I have decided to purchase some food grade silicon tubing (10mm outer diameter / 6mm internal) that will slide over the top inch of the probe. This will then fit tightly in the existing food grade grommet and suspend the probe in the FV.

Fingers crossed it will work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:59 pm

You can buy airlock grommets on Ebay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1162828346