Trub dam on the SS Brewtech 10gal kettle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
smbenn
Piss Artist

Trub dam on the SS Brewtech 10gal kettle

Post by smbenn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

HI All

Going to making the move to induction with a Buffalo CE208 and am researching kettles. Really like the look of the SS Brewtech 10gal (NON BME version) but wondered about hop filtering. Does the trub dam work just as well for flowers as it does for pellets? (I'll likely be using both based on recipe.) Any experience or drawbacks with the SS 10gal?

Cheers
Si
Researching ... by drinking ...

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Trub dam on the SS Brewtech 10gal kettle

Post by borischarlton » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am

Hi,

It is not deigned to be used with whole hops at all and it will block if you use them. We can convert it so that it uses a bazooka filter though, email us if you are interested.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am

Presumably you could position a stainless pan scrubber around it to make it work with leaf?

I actually have a stainless dip tube on my kit that is similar to the one on the SS Brewtech kettle, and it works well with leaf as long as I leave them to settle for a bit and don't run off too fast.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

smbenn
Piss Artist

Post by smbenn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks All. I currently use a bazooka filter but quite honestly, with the blockages I'm getting from both leaf and pellet, I'll probably use a hop bag to boil the hops in. Unless the Brewtech really can handle a lot of pellets being chucked in...
Researching ... by drinking ...

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:55 pm

There’s no actually filter on the ss brewtech they block quite a lot of pellet but your still going to get a good amount going through to the fermenter. I’ve never had a great issue with true in fermenter though. Just crash cool at the end