Have I bought a duff pH probe?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Have I bought a duff pH probe?

Post by orlando » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Jocky wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:24 pm
Gobsmacked how much the price of the voltcraft meter has gone up since I got mine, it must be over double price since 2015.
All these bloody brewers buying them, they think they can charge anything for them and we will still buy them. Er, we will. #-o
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Have I bought a duff pH probe?

Post by Kev888 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:30 pm

When I bought my Voltcraft meter in 2013, the meter (with probe) was £40. Though it was a hesitant step because the only replacement probes available at the time were around £20 - half the cost of a new meter!

I wonder if the meters may actually have been sold cheaply back then in order to generate a market for the OEM probes. But now there are lots of cheap chinese ones around (and the voltcraft versions are even more expensive) this may no longer apply to the same extent.

That said, I'm still using the original Voltcraft probe so it has lasted far longer than expected. It calibrates easily and seems stable in the calibration solutions. Though it can take up to 10mins to settle in wort; I can't recall if that used to be the case or if it is deteriorating.
Kev