Flow Meter - Alarm

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
akom
Sober

Flow Meter - Alarm

Post by akom » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Planning to get this small flow meter:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Flow ... SwbI9dyjNV

I'd like to have it so it triggers an alarm when a set volume is reached (or maybe shuts off the flow?). Anyone know where I could find an alarm/valve I could use for this?

LeeH
Under the Table

Flow Meter - Alarm

Post by LeeH » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Without a dedicated pulsed/digital or analogue output from the controller you will have to figure out how it works. It may just be a magnetic pulse, IF it is you could use that and a pretty basic counter which you could programme one of the alarm outputs to power a lamp or sounder or even interrupt you pump control circuit.

The brainy folk could do it easily with one of this banana/raspberry pie thingymebobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by LeeH on Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Flow Meter - Alarm

Post by LeeH » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:17 pm

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/counters/8086627/

It may use a Hall effect sensor, is so a bit more thought required but I’m currently kegging 47L off America’s finest pale and cannot struggle to do 2 things at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Flow Meter - Alarm

Post by Jocky » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Not much I can help with other than saying that actuated valves are expensive. Turning a pump on/off is much cheaper to accomplish.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.