King keg pressure vavle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wilfh
Piss Artist

King keg pressure vavle

Post by wilfh » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:25 pm

I am having a load of trouble with my kegs. After failing to seal when conditioning I gave it a charge of co2. I am using bulbs so little control and blew the pressure valve. Problem is now its not holding thr pressure and is leaking through the rubber grommet. How do I stop this happening?
Cheers
Wilf

Horden Hillbilly

Re: King keg pressure vavle

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:27 pm

You may need a new set of valve seals, sounds like they could be split, or stretched if they've been on for a while.

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Unfortunately its brand new

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:40 am

If there is excess pressure then the seal may be working as intended; that can occur when injecting a whole bulb into a small area of head-space. In that case then the valve should seal once pressure drops, and then maintain the normal levels.

Sometimes after injecting, ice can form and the rubber can become stiff, which stop the seal working. That will only be temporary and should heal itself once warmed up a little.

If the seal holds no pressure at all then either there is a defect with the rubber or the valve surface below it (or some debris trapped) that are causing it to leak prematurely.

Or else it is not/not-only the seal but some other leak, such as around the lid seal. Sometimes the seal can distort when tightening - that can be reduced by using food-safe lubricant on it. Sometimes the neck of the barrel might have a bit of plastic flash left over from manufacturing, where the seal sits, which can be trimmed flush with a sharp knife. sometimes the seal between valve and lid might leak, requiring tightening or replacing.
Kev

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:00 pm

wilfh wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:42 pm
Unfortunately its brand new
I got caught out with this years ago, it's recommended to change them about every 6 months. Trouble is, you don't know how long the seals have been on the valve & they can "stretch" over time. I had similar issues before with a new barrel & valve & a new set of seals fixed it.

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:41 am

I would throw the valve away and fit an S30 type valve and use an S30 cylinder, the small C02 bulbs are awful things,i used to use them and wasted half the charge trying to carbonate my beer.Also check the main big seal on the screw on cap and use food grade lubricant such as McGlaughlin and not Vaseline! 😀🍺