a

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
hedgerow pete
Tippler

a

Post by hedgerow pete » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 pm

a
Last edited by hedgerow pete on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: home made pressure fermentor for a trial run

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Yup, going with kegs is the way to go, but research your spunding valve well. They are not all made equally.

I see a lot of positive comments on the “blow tie”

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:39 pm

Some of the plastic PBs do run to 10psi yes - though not all and occasionally there are manufacturing defects so I would check the spec and also test with water first. But in general it sounds do-able. Plastic PET bottles might also offer a way to test the idea on a small scale, not sure what pressure they go to but are obviously okay for carbonated beer.

As mentioned the spunding valve needs to be decent; some are imprecise and/or leaky and you don't have much headroom to play with. Diaphragm types are generally better, I believe the 'blow tie' is such.
Kev

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:10 pm

PET bottles are rated to scary levels. I routinely put 45 PSI into them as a portable gas source for growler kegs.

Some sources say they can take 150 PSI, but someone else can do those experiments on their own youtube channel and I will get popcorn.

Oh and if we are talking about practical uses for PET bottles:
A PET bottle Tee: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400044331 ... d354d62de6

for attaching 2 carbonation caps and converting into a portable growler that can be filled/ dispensed like a regular keg.

Lets not forget the keg king junior, specifically designed for fermenting under pressure:
https://www.keg-king.com.au/fermenter-k ... oVl1z-PLBc ( I think there is a european site for these)

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:38 pm

I'd not realised it was quite that high. Excellent. I believe as well as the T-piece there were some bigger than normal PET bottles being proposed to go with them. Can't recall if the bottles are out yet or not though, probably not it was just a possibility, I think.
Kev

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Kev888 wrote:I'd not realised it was quite that high. Excellent. I believe as well as the T-piece there were some bigger than normal PET bottles being proposed to go with them. Can't recall if the bottles are out yet or not though, probably not it was just a possibility, I think.
Apparently they are about to start working on them.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:31 pm

Thats encouraging =D>

I'm sure I heard about them from you originally, too. Thanks 8)
Kev

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:37 am

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:10 pm
PET bottles are rated to scary levels. I routinely put 45 PSI into them as a portable gas source for growler kegs.

Some sources say they can take 150 PSI, but someone else can do those experiments on their own youtube channel and I will get popcorn.

Oh and if we are talking about practical uses for PET bottles:
A PET bottle Tee: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400044331 ... d354d62de6

for attaching 2 carbonation caps and converting into a portable growler that can be filled/ dispensed like a regular keg.

Lets not forget the keg king junior, specifically designed for fermenting under pressure:
https://www.keg-king.com.au/fermenter-k ... oVl1z-PLBc ( I think there is a european site for these)
So does the PET bottle growler with the double carbonation cap need some sort of diptube? Can you attach hosing to the inside some how? Looks interesting

hedgerow pete
Tippler

Post by hedgerow pete » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm

a
Last edited by hedgerow pete on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:52 pm

ben034 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:37 am
So does the PET bottle growler with the double carbonation cap need some sort of diptube? Can you attach hosing to the inside some how? Looks interesting
You would source your carbonation caps seperately, and one of those would have the internal barb that you can hopefully fit something like a 3/8" beer line dip tube to.

The plastic tee in the above link is just a tee, and doesnt include carb caps as far as I can see (not for that price certainly).

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:52 pm
ben034 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:37 am
You would source your carbonation caps seperately, and one of those would have the internal barb that you can hopefully fit something like a 3/8" beer line dip tube to.

The plastic tee in the above link is just a tee, and doesnt include carb caps as far as I can see (not for that price certainly).
Looks very useful. Currently out of stock it seems but will definitely look to give this a go in future as don't have space for large kegs but a few 2l bottles in the fridge doors would be great for lagers or APA type beers.