Co2 bag to blanket NoCill

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Co2 bag to blanket NoCill

Post by aamcle » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:09 pm

What I want to do is fill a nochill cube with Co2.
The Co2 will be displaced by wort as the wort enters the cube and stored in a bag (or something).
Finally the Co2 is sucked back into the cube as the wort cools.

Has anybody here done something like this? I think I saw a link once but I have no idea where, if you can help please post :)

Thanks All. Aamcle

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Co2 bag to blanket NoCill

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:37 pm

You are undermining the sanitary benefits of cube pasteurisation by leaving the wort exposed to your co2 source

The co2 bag will not be as sanitary to the same degree as the cube

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:37 pm

I thought the point of using an HDPE cube was that you could squeeze all the air out and so seal it up air free?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am

Sanitary enough, have you never had to finish cooling a FV in the fridge and inoculated a few hours later? Although a 1 micron filter in the Co2 line might be a good idea.

I don't want to have to squeeze the cube it's for an automated rig (imagined so far) I want to mash in and ideally come back to pitch the yeast :)

Aamcle

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:12 am

I have had cubes spoil due to infection.

The issue here isnt the CO2 source (but the micron filter is a good idea anyway), but the bag/bladder you are using as a CO2 capture / reservoir.

If you are going this route, you might want to consider using a sankey keg as your no chill cube (but double check what their heat tolerances are).

If you are only doing this for overnight storage or something, you will probably get away with it, and your best solution might be to put a bulk head adapter in the no chill cube cap, that you can then fit a corny gas post to. Your CO2 source can then be something as simple as a PET bottle with carbonation cap that has been pre-sanitised and purged (and probably pressurised if you have a lot of headspace)

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 pm

I'd hope to pitch as soon as the right temperature was reached I don't want to store the wort at all.

aamcle

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Your chill cube will need two ports in it - a liquid port with a silicon dip tube and a gas port (no dip tube).

You're also going to need two more vessels with the same, the first being the same size as your chill cube, the second just needs to be the same volume as the amount of CO2 you think will get sucked back.

For brevity I'm going to refer to these as A (Chill cube), B (2nd cube), C (reserve) from hereon.

To set everything up:
1. Fill A with sanitiser then connect A and B liquid tubes
2. Push CO2 in the gas tube of A until A is full of CO2 and all the sanitiser is in B
3. Now you connect A liquid to your wort source, A gas to B gas and B liquid to C liquid and you're ready to go.

How it works:
1. When wort goes into A it will push CO2 into B and sanitiser will go from B to C, with any excess sanitiser going out the C gas port.
2. When A is then full of wort, B will be full of CO2 and C will be full of sanitiser
3. As A cools it will pull back CO2 from B, and in turn B will draw in some sanitiser from C.

Oh boy that sounds way more complex than it needs to be...
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Neatly done.

aamcle