Fermenting bins, how long do they last and cleaning?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Fermenting bins, how long do they last and cleaning?

Post by Wozboy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am

Do I need to renew fermenting bins periodically or are they good for life as long as I sterilise and clean them properly? I've got about 7 that I've kept in the garage with their lids and whilst they're old and could do with a clean will they be OK? I've been told that they can get scratched and harbour bacteria but if I sterilise surely that doesn't matter does it? Also what would I clean them with? Soft cloth I'm presuming to prevent scratches but I used to like using scourers to clean them which looking back may not have been my best move? I've asked in brewing shops and they're keen for me to buy new obviously but at £10 each I'm reluctant. I use pbw steriliser after doing a general surface clean them boiling water, shake them to build up steam and satisfy myself that they're ready.

I'd be interested for views on the above as I'm just getting back into brewing after a hiatus but looking forward to getting back into the fold!

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Fermenting bins, how long do they last and cleaning?

Post by vacant » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Old/lots of scratches? Time to get five for £24 delivered.

Cleaning gets the dirt out so that sterilization can work. Sterilization will work eventually but the more/deeper the scratches the more time you'd need to soak them so not worth it really IMHO. Treated carefully, mine have lasted years. This includes gently washing the outside so if I stack them, no grit damages the interior of the outer buckets.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm

The odd scratch or two isn't usually a problem, but the more scratched they become the less easy to clean and sterilise to the same standards. TBH I've never had any problems with even quite old buckets, so I think the impact can be overstated 'if' your cleaning and disinfecting regimes are high quality. But it increases risk and is never going to be a good thing, so if they've regularly been scrubbed, had things stored in them or/and are quite old then I'd probably think about changing them.

Personally i've always felt a lot of the standard homebrewing buckets are a bit under-sized, there are 30L ones in existence if you shop around though I've not seem any for such good prices as Vacant's link.
Kev

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 am

The malt miller sells a nice sturdy 30 litre one for £12:50, sorry can't add a link as on my phone .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Oldstunty
Steady Drinker

Post by Oldstunty » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:04 pm

I buy my 30 litre ones from here.
I don't know the postage, as I can pop in on the way through from work some days.

Cheers,
Jon.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:56 am

I’ve got a beer fermenting in one I’ve had since 2010 right now.

At various times it’s held grain, sanitiser and I’ve had to bail my mash out into it at least once.

Before use it got soaked in iodophor. After it will get washed with PBW and a sponge. If you don’t skimp on cleaning and sanitisers and don’t attack it with an abrasive cleaner or tool they will last a good long time.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:35 pm

I used my old 70s brew bins from Boots until relatively recently, so they can last a long time.

Probably not a great idea though, as they get a lot of scratches in them from cleaning, so I wouldn't recommend it; especially as new ones are quite cheap.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:54 pm

33L ones are available from Brew UK which I find just about right for my standard 27L brew lengths. Malt Miller also has 33L ones which look sturdier. They don't, however have scales up the side. I tend to replace mine about every thre years or so.
Best wishes

Dave

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:32 am

Many thanks for all of your responses, I have bought five new 25L bins which I'm hoping will be sufficient to get me back on the straight and narrow. I seem to be posting on here every other day at the moment, I thought I knew about this stuff but clearly I don't! I'm looking forward to getting my brews started once I've got the right cleaners and sterilisers in place!!