Double stir plate project

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
f00b4r
Site Admin

Double stir plate project

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Came across a nice dual stir plate project on Github from one of the guys on the main German homebrew forum. They have actually created a custom PCB board for it that you can buy to build one.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Double stir plate project

Post by vacant » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Looks great. It's images like this that sometimes make me wish I wasn't a bodger.

For the moment, I'll stick to my built-from-scrap stir plate - phone charger connected by bent paper clips to a computer fan with a magnet from an old hard drive stuck on it. Tell a lie, I did spend £4.16 on a Zalman fanmate 2 speed controller as the computer fan is fixed speed!
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Very pretty. But why would you need a double stir plate?

Guy

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Spitting a batch to showcase yeasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Double brew day or even building up two smaller starters to combine if you do not have bigger flasks.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Obvious when you know! Thanks.

Guy

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Very pretty. But why would you need a double stir plate?

Guy
Flippin` `eck Guy! [-X
It just looks Bloody Lovely Mun! :D
Every Kit Brewer should strive to own one of these. Even if it is never used, I can open my Brewshed
to my brother and say `Look what I`ve got`.
And He will say `Don`t you ever stop buying stuff you will never use`.
They just don`t get it, do they! :D #-o

WA

Sent from my Big Sofa.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 pm

very pretty.

Not sure I need a double stir plate, though.

One issue I do have is with my 2L flask - it seems to have a base which isn't flat and unless I am super-careful, the magenetic stirrer spins off the centre of the base and lands (not stirring) at the side. Maybe I bought a flask which is too cheap?

Anyone else have similar issues? Would a different sized (longer/shorter) stirrer help?

Perplexed of Suffolk.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Same problem here! I centre the stir bar onto the magnet in the top plate and then turn the speed of the stirrer up very, very slowly. It still whizzes off sometimes!

Guy

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 pm

That's amazing looks like part of a high end HiFi system

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 am

Cobnut wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 pm
One issue I do have is with my 2L flask - it seems to have a base which isn't flat and unless I am super-careful, the magenetic stirrer spins off the centre of the base and lands (not stirring) at the side. Maybe I bought a flask which is too cheap?

Anyone else have similar issues? Would a different sized (longer/shorter) stirrer help?
guypettigrew wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Same problem here! I centre the stir bar onto the magnet in the top plate and then turn the speed of the stirrer up very, very slowly. It still whizzes off sometimes!
I find the triangular section stir-bars are more stable than the ring or oval type, and so can cope better with slightly domed bases. Similarly, small-ish ones (say an inch or less) are more stable than longer ones. Though either way the stir-plate's magnet arrangement (e.g. spacing) needs to be suitable for whatever length of bar is chosen; mismatching plate design and bar length is another common cause of instability.

Also there are lots of videos on the net showing off rapid whirlpool-like capability, which might lead people into thinking this is wanted (and then they worry about shear stress!). But fairly slow and steady stirring is all that is needed, just to promote oxygen exchange with the head space - with perhaps no more than a small dimple forming at the centre of the swirl.

Unfortunately the computer-type fans people tend to use (for the quiet brushless motors) don't have an ideal speed range, so can be quite tricky to control subtly at the slow speeds wanted; maybe the system in the OP would help there. Not only do we want 'very' slow speed (compared to the fan's normal range), but it really helps to build up to this slowly, so the bar is never trying to get too far ahead of the wort.
Kev

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:36 pm

vacant wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:54 pm
Looks great. It's images like this that sometimes make me wish I wasn't a bodger.

For the moment, I'll stick to my built-from-scrap stir plate - phone charger connected by bent paper clips to a computer fan with a magnet from an old hard drive stuck on it. Tell a lie, I did spend £4.16 on a Zalman fanmate 2 speed controller as the computer fan is fixed speed!
It sounds like you used the same design as me.
Richard M
Cardiff