Monitoring Temperature inside FV?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Monitoring Temperature inside FV?

Post by Hudson1984 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Hi all,

ok so you've all be a great help in the fact that long term clearly a brew fridge is the route to take. Great.

However at the moment, I want to get brewing and ensure things are correct.

This being said, I do still want to brew in my garage which whilst being insulated is unheated - I've ordered a heat pad and a Wifi Inkbird.

How would I use the inkbird to monitor the FV? I've seen people merely attaching the probe to the outside - is this all I can realistically do?

the kit i'm intending to use states 25-30 degrees. Garage is likely to fluctuate in the evening and warm up throughout the day but certainly won't reach 20 deg let alone 25-30. So I was intending to sit it on the pad, set the inkbird to 27 and leave it to it - just a case of where to put the probe for best results.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Monitoring Temperature inside FV?

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Apologies, but I've forgotten what you'll be brewing in. Is it a plastic bucket? If so, drill a small hole in the top and drop the probe through. You may need to weight the probe to get it to sink. Use whatever you have to hand which isn't porous.

And sanitise well before dropping the probe in!

Guy

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:20 pm

cider mostly in bulk but also Wine in Demi Johns. The wine however will be smaller batches of 5ltr only and possibly less of a problem to put indoors but even then I'd like to monitor it.

Anyway, Yes, plastic FV one of the wide neck jobbies. So it's got a hole in the lid for a bung and airlock.

I've got some chem san so sorted on sanitiser - and happy to drill a hole in bin/lid if that's the concensus but was worried about the cable being inside the actual liquid was all

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Should be watertight. You might even be able to squeeze the cable down the hole for the bung. The bung will hold it in place.

Guy

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:14 am

Install one of these in the lid and slide the sensor into it.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... hermowell/
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 am

Perfect. Order placed.