Herms advice plz

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
D4V33
Steady Drinker

Herms advice plz

Post by D4V33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:38 am

Hi all, I’ve been browsing the forum for a while now, so think it’s about time I joined.

Being locked at home due to the current situation has got me needing to start a little project to keep me from climbing the walls.

So plan is to build a 3 tank electric HERMS set up.

I have kegs, bspp fittings, valves, tri clamps, tig welding equipment etc at my disposal due to my line of work, so should help with the setup cost.

The advice I’m looking for at the moment is with regards to elements. I have a 2500w element fitted using a tri clamp to the bottom of what will become my HLT.

What I need to know is what element to use in my boil kettle? And where to purchase one? I’ve read that certain elements will risk scorching the wort.

My next question will be what pumps to buy 😊

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by D4V33 on Sun May 10, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LeeH
Under the Table

Electric HERMS build

Post by LeeH » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:40 am

How big is your tank?!

Brew builder do ULWD elements, I use 2 in a 75L pot. You will get zero scorching with them.

https://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/elements.html

I would also look at RIMS if you’re building from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

D4V33
Steady Drinker

Re: Electric HERMS build

Post by D4V33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi, sorry I should have mentioned the size. The kegs are 50L but will only be used to brew 25-30 litres at a time.

How does RIMS differ from HERMS?

Thanks
Dave

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:12 pm

This should help you. A clear explanation of the difference between the two.

My mash tun is well insulated, losing only about 1°C in 90 minutes, so I haven't gone for either a RIMS or HERMS system. Although I've been tempted so many times by the idea of yet more bits of kit to play with!!

Guy

D4V33
Steady Drinker

Post by D4V33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Many thanks for the help guys!

I definitely like the idea of the HERMs. So that's the route I'm heading down.

The ULWD elements Brew builder are out of stock. Does any where else sell them? I can only seem to source them from China with quite a late delivery date.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Try here for the elements. They are LWD rather than ULWD, but should be fine.

Before you get going on this project, though, what's made you choose a HERMS set up rather than a simpler and straightforward 3 vessel set up with a well insulated mash tun? Not trying to be confrontational, just interested.

As my brewing years have progressed I've realised that simpler is often better. It's complicated enough deciding on which ingredients to use for a brew!

Guy

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:40 pm

The LWDs work fine too. Regarding pumps the chuggers are great. Also look at the Blichmanns.

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

D4V33
Steady Drinker

Post by D4V33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:46 pm

[quote=guypettigrew post_id=849660 time=1587386070 user_id=5521]
Before you get going on this project, though, what's made you choose a HERMS set up rather than a simpler and straightforward 3 vessel set up with a well insulated mash tun? Not trying to be confrontational, just interested.

As my brewing years have progressed I've realised that simpler is often better. It's complicated enough deciding on which ingredients to use for a brew!

Guy
[/quote]

Hi, thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

With regards to your question - I suppose I just like the idea of the HERMS process. I can relate to the process steps as I work for a malt extract plant / Brewhouse. That and the fact that I want something challenging to do on the weekends while we’re all stuck at home. I have friends that have the grainfather setups which I also like but they’re pretty expensive. The reason I like the HERMS over the RIMS is just because it removes the risk of scorching during the mash.

Thanks
Dave

D4V33
Steady Drinker

Post by D4V33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:48 pm

[quote=LeeH post_id=849668 time=1587415245 user_id=9365]
The LWDs work fine too. Regarding pumps the chuggers are great. Also look at the Blichmanns.

[/quote]

Perfect, thanks.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:57 am

Have you considered these for your kettle? I use a couple in my boiler. On that if you want to brew a double batch (46 - 50 litres) you'll need a bigger kettle. I have this as my RIMS kit and have never experienced scorching. The beauty of RIMS/HERMS is it makes wort clarity into the boiler a given, leaving behind the proteins and polyphenols we want to avoid going into the kettle.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

LeeH
Under the Table

Electric HERMS build

Post by LeeH » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 am

I’m with Orlando, never scorched a batch yet and don’t see how you can across a LWD element and PID controller.

I have the brew builder generic RIMS with sight glass.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:30 am

LeeH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 am
I’m with Orlando, never scorched a batch yet and don’t see how you can across a LWD element and PID controller.

Not seen self-isolating/shielded RIMS before. :D What is the sight glass for?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:44 am

The option of kettle type elements is worth thinking about, as Orlando and LeeH have said.

My boiler has two of these and there's never any scorching, even though I leave them both on for the whole boil time. I boil about 35l of wort which gives me about 23L in the fermenter after evaporation and losses to hop absorption in the boiler.

Your RIMS set up looks great, LeeH. If only I could convince myself my brewing system needed one!

Guy

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:47 am

orlando wrote:
LeeH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 am

Not seen self-isolating/shielded RIMS before. :D What is the sight glass for?
You cannot be to careful! Sight glass is just to show how beautifully clear RIMS wort it....I just thought it looked cool tbh.

Sorcerer
Tippler

Post by Sorcerer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:53 am

LeeH wrote:The LWDs work fine too. Regarding pumps the chuggers are great. Also look at the Blichmanns.

Avoid the centre inlet chugger as the kettle pump, I bought them thinking that the larger inlet would assist pump performance, however its effectively a 1/2" bore inlet with a bearing mounting in the centre, and it blocks easily, especially if you're using hop flowers, all it takes is for one to jump free of the bag/spider and your pump will be blocked. I'm awaiting delivery of a blichmann riptide upgrade to use on the kettle pump. ImageImage

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk