Glycol chiller advise

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
timtoos
Piss Artist

Glycol chiller advise

Post by timtoos » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:02 am

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a glycol chiller but cannot decide which to go for, the grainfather or the ss brewtech 1/5hp version.

I ferment in SS brewtech fermenters but both chillers will connect and control with my setup so that's not an issue.

Does anyone use or used either and what would you recommend?

I have tried under counter chiller and they work, however, both of mine leak (don't wanna waste more money on these things), and it's a real pain standing on drip trays and emptying them once a day and a fridge would not suit my fermenter arrangement.

Cheers

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Glycol chiller advise

Post by LeeH » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:17 am

I doubt any on here has had both, you best bet for a comparison will be you tube. Someone over the pond will have reviewed them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:32 am

I have never used a grainfather so I cannot comment on their quality, but there seemed to be a lot of folks who had initial issues with their G30 product. Its good theses issues were ironed out but it does make me wonder when/if the product will be actually finished or ready for general sale. This puts me off the grainfather unit.
I notice that their chiller has also had a few revisions already. Is this because of issues? If not, are they simply improvements? It could mean I have an old model pretty quick if the unit keeps getting updated.
SS brew stuff seems reliable enough. However, glycol is not included and separate pumps for each output line (more £££'s) will need to be sourced.

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:35 am

LeeH wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:17 am
I doubt any on here has had both, you best bet for a comparison will be you tube. Someone over the pond will have reviewed them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have looked on youtube many times. There are separate reviews for each unit but not a back-to-back review or a review where someone recommends one over the other.

My wallet says grainfather but my head says SS Brewtech!