Boiler / brew kettle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Brewmish
Sober

Boiler / brew kettle

Post by Brewmish » Wed May 20, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi all I'm looking g to get a new ss pot for my grain brews and would like an electric one.
Does anybody have any experience with these below?
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ac ... meter.html
If these are any good can anybody recommend a temp controller?
Thanks

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Boiler / brew kettle

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 20, 2020 8:02 pm

If you're just looking for a boiler, then you don't need a temperature controller.

The more vigorous the boil, the better the beer will be!

Guy

Brewmish
Sober

Post by Brewmish » Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 am

I was thinking of using this to also heat mash water up to temp. I could of course use a thermometer , it was just a nice to have I guess.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu May 21, 2020 9:05 am

If you want a temperature controller then you need to build one yourself or find someone that can.

The plug and play temperature controllers you can buy (like the Inkbird ITC-308) aren't designed to control something as powerful as a 2.4kW element.
There's plenty of guides out there about how to go about building one.

Alternatively email Brewbuilder (https://brewbuilder.co.uk/) and he might have something not on his online shop.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am

This from brewbuilder is what I use for my HLT. Had it years and it works a treat.

Quite expensive, but a good way of getting something top quality without having to build it yourself.

Guy

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am

I didn't realise he had those. Probably the best option out there for an HLT controller unless you build one yourself.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am
This from brewbuilder is what I use for my HLT. Had it years and it works a treat.

Quite expensive, but a good way of getting something top quality without having to build it yourself.

Guy
I have the same. Needs calibrating regularly, which I did for a while, now I just adjust the temp on the unit to obtain the desired temperature. :oops:

As for brew kettle, go big say 70 litre. Gives you the option to make 25 and 50 litre brews. The price differential is not as big as the disappointment when you realise you went too small. Particularly when you push the limit, get a boil over and decide simmering might help. :roll:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu May 21, 2020 12:45 pm

orlando wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 pm
guypettigrew wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am

I have the same. Needs calibrating regularly, which I did for a while, now I just adjust the temp on the unit to obtain the desired temperature. :oops:

As for brew kettle, go big say 70 litre. Gives you the option to make 25 and 50 litre brews. The price differential is not as big as the disappointment when you realise you went too small. Particularly when you push the limit, get a boil over and decide simmering might help. :roll:
For some reason the lower end of the temperature range (up to about 20°C IIRC) doesn't read accurately. Like Orlando I spent ages trying to calibrate it. Then I realised if I just calibrated it at about 85°C it was perfect. I set the temperature for my mash liquor to 83°C or whatever, run the HLT from a timer and hot mash liquor is ready first thing in the morning.

Brew kettle? Yes, go large. Boil overs can happen almost instantaneously. And only ever happen when you aren't looking!!

Guy