Please Help - New Corny Set-up

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Please Help - New Corny Set-up

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:45 am

So, you've all been a great help with all my plans.

Now i'd like to get a corny set up going.

I'm a bit worried about it as it's all pipe and jargon from people who know what they're talking about! I don't

Can you lot help with a complete how to? I of course know I need a corny, a regulator etc. But I want to order EVERYTHING I need to produce a nice fizzy cider (currently in brew fridge)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

this is I guess what i'm after, but i'll add the second keg at a later date.

So where do I get all this....especially at the moment!

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Re: Please Help - New Corny Set-up

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:29 am

I am liking the thought of basing this on a sodastream bottle, just for ease of exchange etc.

how long will 60l last?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:17 pm

Hudson1984 wrote:I am liking the thought of basing this on a sodastream bottle, just for ease of exchange etc.

how long will 60l last?
Not long at all, especially as you will be making a drink that requires high carbonation levels.

I am sure someone will be along soon with regards to the kegerator, although a lot of sellers like Brew Keg Tap, Malt Miller, Angel Homebrew, Get Er Brewed, etc will sell a full kit (minus the CO2).

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:36 pm

You can fill soda stream bottles with an adapter look on utube and get a 6 kg bottle from hobbyweld delivery to your door but God these things mount up in Price

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

You can also get a 19kg bottle of food grade co2 from a hydroponic shop for about 40pound and refill soda stream bottles for about a pound each 75kg plus full though if you have a garage to store it in

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:02 am

hmm this doesn't sound workable for the space I have on hand then...

that's a shame. I've got space in the garage, just wanted to avoid drilling into the new fridge really. But I think i'm going to have to aren't I

well for now then, I'll grab a plastic keg and use that for a while, least it'll fit in the fridge. Of course I don't suppose i'll get fizzy cider with one of those

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:50 am

You can get 2kg bottles of gas but the 6kg ones last much longer and probably make no real difference to storage size required but they last a fair bit longer.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:00 pm

I use the 6.3Kg CO2 cylinders - they come in two variants: the big Steel ones and the smaller alloy ones. I use the latter - much lighter to handle and physically not much bigger than the 3Kg steel ones.

IIRC, Hudson1984, you're somewhere in Suffolk. If I'm right, maybe you're not too far from Stowmarket where you will find Cellair who supply my gas at sensible prices.

I believe they will deliver - although I think they're largely shut down due to CV-19 at present - but I take an occasional trip up from Ipswich and pay in cash ;-)

My cylinder sits outside the £30 2nd hand undercounter fridge i use for my 2 x 19L + 1 x 10L cornies. No qualms about drilling holes in a fridge that cheap!

Cobnut
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Has your fridge not got a drain hole? Thats thaty I used when I had a kegerator. I now use a keezer as it's easier swaping out multiple kegs.

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:00 pm
I use the 6.3Kg CO2 cylinders - they come in two variants: the big Steel ones and the smaller alloy ones. I use the latter - much lighter to handle and physically not much bigger than the 3Kg steel ones.

IIRC, Hudson1984, you're somewhere in Suffolk. If I'm right, maybe you're not too far from Stowmarket where you will find Cellair who supply my gas at sensible prices.

I believe they will deliver - although I think they're largely shut down due to CV-19 at present - but I take an occasional trip up from Ipswich and pay in cash ;-)

My cylinder sits outside the £30 2nd hand undercounter fridge i use for my 2 x 19L + 1 x 10L cornies. No qualms about drilling holes in a fridge that cheap!

Cobnut
yeah not far from Stow, well, about an hour so nothing too horrific.

I think for now i'm going to order a king keg with a few little cannisters. Won't do the job totally but will give me time to see what I want to do - and I assume even if I get a proper gas canister I can use it on the king keg anyway and just replace it with a corny when the time comes?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:12 pm

Haydnexport wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Has your fridge not got a drain hole? Thats thaty I used when I had a kegerator. I now use a keezer as it's easier swaping out multiple kegs.
I was thinking that but then where does the beer come out? When I had cornies in a fridge the gas and beer lines were routed through a gap I cut in the door seal.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:59 pm

If you search on here for Norm, he has supplied many a JBK member with gas boards etc. He is normannumpa on eBay. If you get in touch with him he will probably supply you with every thing you need, at a good price, with the right advice.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dave1970
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave1970 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Think about what you need from your regulator. If you're just going to use it to carbonate cider you could just have a single regulator like this Image
Then split the gas line into 2 for your 2 kegs
If you want to have the 2 kegs at different pressures (one for a cider, one for an ale perhaps?) then you'd need a dual regulator like this Image or a secondary regualator to reduce the pressure to your second keg.