Grain Mill advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Grain Mill advice

Post by StrontiumDog » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:56 am

Good morning, hope you're keeping well!

I'm looking to move in to milling my own grains and as such I'm after a decent mill but I'm caught in a dilemma.

The 2-roller mill that MaltMiller sells looks ideal but having spoken to Rob he's said they won't be getting more in stock for at least a couple of months due to all this Covid marlarky.

On the other hand BrewUK have the Bulldog mill in stock but I'm worried it's a bit of a cheap build. If I'm going to get something I'd rather pay the once and get something half decent that won't drive me mad.

What are your thoughts, or are there alternatives out there?

All the best

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Grain Mill advice

Post by IPA » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:20 am

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Has Rob got the three roller mill in stock? A year or two back when I decided to mill my own grain I was going to get the two roller version but got fed up with waiting for it to come in to stock so got the three roller one instead. I've been very pleased with it but have no experience of any other mill so can't say if it is worth the extra cost.
Richard M
Cardiff

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:12 am

I have a Bulldog mill, a reduced price and ebay coupon bought it for £60, I'm happy with mine at that price. I'm not sure I would be at £100.
I've seen some complaints of plastic gears stripping on them, this confuses me as mine has metal gears, I don't know if plastic gears replaced the metal or vice versa.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.