Kegerator build - dreaded hole drilling

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Danwoodall
Sober

Kegerator build - dreaded hole drilling

Post by Danwoodall » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:22 am

Hi Guys

I have a Hotpoint RLA30, and need two holes drilling through for beer lines and Co2.

Obviously wary about drilling the holes through, but have another idea and wanted any advice or if it’s been done before successfully. I can’t find anywhere online that has a coolant line diagram for this model.

My idea is to cut a letterbox shape around 10cmx5cm in the inside plastic initially with a Stanley knife on the right hand side of the fridge. Then hollow out the middle of it where the insulation is. Finally I can drill I pilot hole From the inside and get holes where they need to be. I’m hoping if there are any coolant lines I’ll see them too when moving the insulation. I’ve seen a lot of posts about just drilling right through, but none about a letterbox flap which seems strange to me?

This should leave me with a letterbox like flap, that can be pushed back down (apart from the last 20mm when the lines are in - should hopefully look better than a big hole inside.

Any thoughts or advice?

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Kegerator build - dreaded hole drilling

Post by alexlark » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 am

The plastic inside is super thin and a new Stanley blade will fly through it. You may not be able to bend the plastic without tearing or breaking it, if that's your intention with the letterbox idea.

I did a similar thing with the same fridge but grinded away the metal outer skin with a Dremel before poking around with a small screwdriver. You'll be surprised how thin everything is.

Danwoodall
Sober

Post by Danwoodall » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks, do you have any pictures? I thought about going through the metal with a dremel but thought I’d have more control with a knife?

Just custom build the cabinet and bar to fit the fridge, now feeling the pressure of drilling the fridge correctly.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:37 pm

I've not got a photo to hand but I drilled approx. 2 inches down and 2 inches in from the back, on the right hand side (when looking from front). There were no cooling pipes there, and I widened the hole to fit 2 gas lines and 2 beer lines.

I'd say go slow when cutting from the outside or inside, then push a small screwdriver through the insulation. You could even use a vacuum cleaner to suck the insulation bits whilst prodding with the screwdriver. It's quite easy. Good luck!

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:52 pm

I've not tried it myself but I have seen this method of knowing where the cooling lines are. Turn the fridge to the coolest setting, then its coo, spray the sides (inside) with water, it should frost up where the cooling lines are.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:59 pm

On the RLA larder fridges the pipes are at the back, but go easy just in case.

Danwoodall
Sober

Post by Danwoodall » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks guys, went slowly with the letterbox idea from inside to get a pilot hole, then outside to finish up.

All worked nicely - now just need to get some beer on!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Great stuff!

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but it might be of use to someone searching in the future, but I've heard rubbing alcohol and cornflour mixed to a paste and painted onto the fridge is a good way to find the cooling lines. The heat makes the alcohol evaporate.

On one American forum, I've read of people taking their fridge to their local fire station (with a suitable gift) to ask if the fire fighters will use their thermal imaging camera to find the lines!

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:23 am

Binkie Huckaback wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:28 pm
I know I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but it might be of use to someone searching in the future, but I've heard rubbing alcohol and cornflour mixed to a paste and painted onto the fridge is a good way to find the cooling lines. The heat makes the alcohol evaporate.

On one American forum, I've read of people taking their fridge to their local fire station (with a suitable gift) to ask if the fire fighters will use their thermal imaging camera to find the lines!
Problem is it is not only the cooling lines you have to look out for as some/fridges/freezers have wiring routed up in the outer panels. I found this out the hard way :(

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:30 am

Dads_Ale wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:23 am
Problem is it is not only the cooling lines you have to look out for as some/fridges/freezers have wiring routed up in the outer panels. I found this out the hard way :(
Ah. That's good to know.