Temp probe length with quick disconnect

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Temp probe length with quick disconnect

Post by Rankin_leigh » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi all.

I'm in the middle of a nice big upgrade to my garage and brew area and will be upgrading most of my gear in the coming months.
I'll be building my own temp controller (planning to order aurber's ezboil). I've been looking at the temp probe connection and plan to have it either on exit of Herms coil or input to mash tun, haven't decided yet. But I want to be able to disconnect it easily when not in use, so planned on having the probe attach to a tee piece via a quick disconnect.

I normally use cam locks so can't test. Does anybody know how long a male/female quick disconnect would be when together?
Or even better know what length probe I would need so it sits in the middle of the 1/2 BSP tee?

Thanks.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Temp probe length with quick disconnect

Post by Jocky » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:21 am

I'll apologise for not answering your question as I don't use QDs myself, but wanted to let you know that if you want to stick with camlocks for this you can.

My PT100 probe has a 1/4" bsp threading on it, so I've screwed it into a Type D camlock with a 1/2" x 1/4" reducing bush:

I have a cap camlock (type DC) that goes over the port on the pot when the probe isn't connected.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Post by Rankin_leigh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks jocky. I had wondered, but thought the camlocks may be a bit cumbersome. But looks like it works well. And for the ease of all the spare bits I already have - definitely the way to go!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:21 pm

It works really well, you just need to get the probe the right length to get past the length of the camlock and the thread of the type A you attach it to.

Mine is an 80mm probe from Angel Homebrew, and it sticks out about 1cm beyond the thread of the Type A camlock on the inside of the pot, which is plenty enough for me.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.