Beer Life Expectancy in a Cornie

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Beer Life Expectancy in a Cornie

Post by Wizz69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 am

Hey All

I generally brew and bottle, mainly because it is convenient to store, share and drink over time.

I am not a heavy drinker and I normally brew in batches of 20l giving me 10-12ltrs to bottle.

20 bottles can last me a few months even with giving some away.

My bottle brews last me the period until I brewer different batch and that is my life cycle. In between I also buy ales to drink to try new blends etc...

I want to step into a corny keg setup and wondered

A) how long does the beer last in a cornie?

B) will 19l cornie be ok to hold about 10-15ltrs with the head space?

C) I do not have a beer fridge, does it matter?

D) what is the most effient and least expensive setup?

Ta all

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

---- Keep Calm and Brew On ----

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Beer Life Expectancy in a Cornie

Post by f00b4r » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 am

A) It depends on the beer, e.g. a really hoppy beer will deteriorate relatively quickly just as it would in bottles, although with kegs it is much easier to reduce oxygen on the cold side so it should fare better than in bottles. For less sensitive beers you are likely to get just as long in the keg as you would in a bottle (unless you are storing for extreme lengths of time where a bottle conditioned beer might be better).

B) Yes but you will use more gas, with your consumption that is unlikely to be an issue with a 6kg gas bottle but may be more annoying if using a 2kg gas bottle.

C) Yes. Technically you can get away without one but carbonation relates to both temperature pressure (hence why it is usually expressed in volumes of CO2 or equivalent) and if you only control one of those factors then you will get problems, you could vent every time you go to serve but your carbonation levels will probably not remain consistent and it is much better to have a temperature controlled fridge or cooler to help avoid issues. You can even get under-counter fridges now that will hold 4 19L kegs (if you ensure you get the skinnier taller versions) in not much more space than the actual kegs themselves. You can also get 9L and 11L kegs, you will pay about the same as for the 19L ones but they can be very useful. Budget and space probably play a key part in your choice but probably better to figure things out now than buy twice.

D) It probably depends on your budget, space and how many kegs oyu are wanting to run at once, any idea?

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks very much f004br, for the rapid response.

All really good answers and the need for cooling adds the cost of using a cornie in total.

At the moment it costs me the price of bottle caps to bottle my beer. I would have to budget/save for cornices then, not to mention get a decent space available for a fridge.

It all. May have to wait for me then as I buy the pieces peace meal.

Thanks again

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:51 pm

The actual cornies are one of the cheaper bits of kegging. It's the gas bottle, regulator, disconnects, taps, and a fridge or freezer with temperature controller that end up costing all the money.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Hey Jocky

So i see. So for convenience and to be able to pull a pint on draft though, the corny is the aspiration.

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 pm

Wizz69 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm
Hey Jocky

So i see. So for convenience and to be able to pull a pint on draft though, the corny is the aspiration.

Hi Wizz.
It’s certainly very satisfying!
When I started brewing again I wanted to take it to the next level, and had thoughts just like you.
Initially a bought one cornie, gas, disconnects, gauge and a simple party faucet to get me going.
Straight away I noticed the difference in the quality of the beer as you can adjust the carbonation to suit your taste.
A couple of things to bear in mind, the cornie has to be pressured up initially to seal the lid, so natural priming isn’t a good idea.
The need for temperature control as suggested is of importance. I got away with it for six months from autumn to spring storing in a garage, as soon as things got warmer I knew a keezer build was necessary!
I do use the five litre kegs also, again with good results, so you do have flexibility at hand.
If you decide that you want to go down the cornie route, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, and no more bottle washing!!!!

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Cheers Top Cat

I think you are right. I know I would be very satisfied and cleaning/bottling is a chore.

:)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm

Bottling is a massive chore, and space wise I’ve not taken up much with my keezer compared to the space all the bottles and paraphernalia took up.

More importantly it’s enabled me to brew fresh, hoppy styles way beyond I ever thought possible on a home brew scale, and even for lagers I find the fresh malt character amazing thanks to a lack of oxidation.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve brewed some amazing beer with bottle conditioning, but kegging gives you a lot of flexibility if you can afford the space and cost.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 pm

Hey Jocky

Some amazing insight. I guess I just need to find a way and do it!!

I have needed an excuse to work on the space for a corny :)

Start saving for all the paraphernalia and get brewing I guess.

I have never tried a lager, because of the lack of chilling, so will be another great excuse to get a corny

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 am

I have a stout that I forgot was there in a corny, its nearly four years old and is lovely!
I had all m brewstuff stored away from when I had an extension built, when I rebuilt my brewing area went to get all the equipment I found, hidden away, a corny I had forgotten about!

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:31 am

Well, micmacmoc

That is incredible and testament to how Hardy a beer can be if isolated from oxygen.

4 y o stout....

No ill after effects then? Except maybe a sore head....

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Thought I had better check this, just in case mistaken. But yes, made it on feb 5 2016. 6.4%abv probably a good preserver!