Gas Regulator Boards

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Gas Regulator Boards

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi all,

I saw on here a while back but now can't find the post - does someone on here make regulator boards?

I'm intending to mount the board(s) to my rear wall, then just have the pipe go into a cupboard i'm using to store the gas bottles.

I'd like, one regulator for Nitrogen, and one for C02. Both to have 2 outlets (although in reality only 1 is likely to be used for some time - but nice to future proof)

Anyone make these?
Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Essentially, this week i'd like to get the taps sorted on the kegerator, then perhaps next week if I can find a board, get that mounted and all fed in together.

Then just a case of getting some gas and i'm away.

I've seen someone mention Norm but I've no idea who Norm is :)

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Gas Regulator Boards

Post by chris2012 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Norm is on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/normannumpa/m.html

I bought a 3 way co2 regulator from him a while ago (so each output has its own pressure dial/knob to set the pressure), I screwed it onto a board and screwed that onto my shed. I screwed a mixed gas regulator onto the same board too.

Both the mixed gas regulator and co2 regulator had a little bit of metal, you use to screw onto wood/..

From what I recall both my regulators take 3/8" pipe using a JG push fit, you can get a JG splitter, to convert 1 output to 2, if you want both to have the same pressure:

https://www.johnguest.com/product/inch- ... divider-3/

Alternatively - https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/co2-g ... -push-fits looks pretty sweet

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:47 am

I used Laws Drinks Systems recently to buy a couple of secondary regulators. Decent prices and quick delivery. I had a minor issue with a very slow leak and they were quick to help too: https://www.lawsdrinkssystems.co.uk/cel ... ators.html

If you want all the regulators on the wall then you'll want a wall mounted primary regulator for each bottle and then as Chris has mentioned you can either get:
A splitter (everything at the same pressure, no shut off)
A manifold (everything at the same pressure, can shut off individual lines)
A secondary regulator (set a pressure per regulator, can shut off individual lines)

Personally I'd go for a secondary regulator for each. Secondaries usually have a passthrough so you can daisy chain them, a dial to see the pressure you've set (essential IMO) and a switch to shut them off. If you use just one then you can run two kegs at different pressures by setting the primary regulator to the higher pressure for one keg, and use the secondary to step that down to the lower pressure.

The other advantage of the daisy chaining is that you can add them on at any time.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:55 am

Alternatively you could hide all the regulators in the cupboard.

Personally I'm of the opinion that anything with dials and switches needs showing off, so here's my madness for 5 kegs:

Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:16 pm

thanks all, so Jocky, do you have a primary regulator on the bottle, then use as per your photo being secondaries?

I like the style, looks perfect for my aims, Can just start with 1 secondary and add more as (if) I see fit.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Hudson1984 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:16 pm
thanks all, so Jocky, do you have a primary regulator on the bottle, then use as per your photo being secondaries?

I like the style, looks perfect for my aims, Can just start with 1 secondary and add more as (if) I see fit.
Yes, primary is on the bottle. I already had the primary when I was building the board, but I'd seriously consider getting a wall mounted one now.

The first three secondary regulators I got (the right most three in the picture) cost me under £40 delivered. Keep an eye on ebay and you'll see ex pub stuff appear cheaply, although it's rarer than it once was.