Small batch automation?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Small batch automation?

Post by aamcle » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:06 am

I'd like to brew more often but make smaller batches however I also want my time back!

Using my GF with the small batch pipework still takes 5-6hr start to clean up so I'm interested in any automated (end to end) system members have built.
Not a Peco brew or any of the commercial brewing appliances.

The most apparent problem is a neat and tidy way of adding hops, I've seen pictures ranging from the HeathRobinson to great Stainless Sculptures but nothing I like the look of and could build.

Other than that it's getting fail safes sufficient to leave the system unattended that are looking costly and hard to plan.

So has anybody built something like that?

Atb. Aamcle

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Re: Small batch automation?

Post by bryanferry » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Many years ago I looked into this after seeing the brewbot (spoiler: it didn't end well for them). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... -appliance

The basics of it seemed a straight forward set up that they over complicated. The gastronorm pans seemed a good off the shelf racking system. I went down the rabbit hole on designing my own for a while until the Grainfather came along. I've found this hobby is 70% washing/sterilising so doubt that time can be fully reduced. The Grainfather and such systems seem to be the closest I can get to hands off with still massive choice over recipes.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Small batch automation?

Post by aamcle » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:11 pm

Designed for Quantum Scientists and Interior Designers not normal brewers, it's only the hops that present a significant problem. There is good open-source software that would run a home brew rig things like BrewPi.

Oh well I'm still working on something else and by the time covid is over the £ with be worth less than a Bolivar and I have to become a Breatharian.

Aamcle