Accurate thermometer needed

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am

I have three thermometers. Two digital ones with probes on 1 metre leads, and one analogue glass stick thermometer.

With the probes from the digital thermometers and the bulb of the glass thermometer all together the readings (°C) are;
  • Digital #1 14.2
  • Digital #2 13.1
  • Glass Just over 12
Can anyone recommend a reliable digital thermometer with the probe on a 1 meter lead, please?

Thanks.

Guy

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Accurate thermometer needed

Post by f00b4r » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Anything by ETI, the people behind the Thermapen.
They often have cheaper gear marked as refurbished on eBay. If you are planning to fully submerge the probe though check that it is okay to do so, as this is often kills probes that are not designed for it.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:19 pm

2nd for ETI/Thermapen. They come with a certificate of calibration.

If you’re going to drop the money for one I would highly recommend the waterproof Thermapen Pro. I have the other one and like many others it’s having a problem with rusted contacts in the switch due to moisture ingress.

The Pro version is better sealed and less prone to this happening, and so better suited to brewing.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks gents

The thermapen it will be. From ETI it's £64.80. Free postage. From ebay it's £80.99. Free postage.

Before clicking on the ETI one, can you confirm it's the same as the ebay one, just £15 cheaper. Which seems like a lot. Perhaps I've missed something?

Thanks.

Guy

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:28 pm

The blue is on offer atm: https://thermapen.co.uk/thermapen-therm ... -blue.html?
I think that is the one Jockey is referring to (I have the older one).
There is no lead for the probe though, it is just handheld.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:36 pm

Thanks f00b4r. Order placed. What a rubbish web site, though!

Guy

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm

For some reason Thermoworks has a great site in the US, even though ETI is a British company. Besides the thermapen we use the Smoke grill thermometer and DOT, (digital oven thermometer) I also use their Timestick Trio timer, and have used their disposable ph meter.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
For some reason Thermoworks has a great site in the US, even though ETI is a British company. Besides the thermapen we use the Smoke grill thermometer and DOT, (digital oven thermometer) I also use their Timestick Trio timer, and have used their disposable ph meter.
A what?!!!!

Guy

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:36 pm
Thanks f00b4r. Order placed. What a rubbish web site, though!

Guy
You won’t regret it. Super bit of kit.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:56 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Trefoyl wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
A what?!!!!

Guy
one unit ph meter without replaceable probe. Not worth the price in the end but it was accurate. I compared it to my Milwaukee and it gave the same result. It was the same price as a replacement probe for the Milwaukee but not as precise and no temp compensation.
https://www.thermoworks.com/Waterproof-pH-Pen-8680
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.