Cornelius Keg Cons?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Cornelius Keg Cons?

Post by chris2012 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Those thick seals look good, will have to get some of them

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Jambo wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:50 am
Of course, don’t ignore line balancing if you like beer that isn’t flat.
I don't get that? What is "flat"? I think you will probably think 1.1 - 1.2 "volumes" of CO2 is "flat". In which case your post proves my point: Ignore the line-balancing stuff at low pressures because those tables are written for an entirely different idea of what "beer" is. The tables offer no assistance at all to people wanting low carbonated beer ("Real Ale" style).

But it forced me to look at the calculators again to make an example, and I chose the one at https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/. And it was a whole lot better than when I last explored these things (4-5 years ago!). I couldn't get it to show zero flow through an open tube of a doable line length as I could before. All the same, the calculator did suggest I use 32ft of 3/8" line to get a "10 second pour" which would be impractical and quite un-necessary. Using the calculator would most certainly result in beer that looked flat (no head).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Flat. Water from the tap is flat. It'd be quite difficult to get a flat beer. Even pub beers past their best (and therefore need returning) usually have a tiny bit of life in them.

You could probably get flat beer by kegging it from the FV then leaving it open to the atmosphere for a few days.

Not really sure why I've posted this. It's just sometimes I wonder exactly what people mean when they write something.

Guy

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:42 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Jambo wrote:
I don't get that? What is "flat"? I think you will probably think 1.1 - 1.2 "volumes" of CO2 is "flat". In which case your post proves my point: Ignore the line-balancing stuff at low pressures because those tables are written for an entirely different idea of what "beer" is. The tables offer no assistance at all to people wanting low carbonated beer ("Real Ale" style).

But it forced me to look at the calculators again to make an example, and I chose the one at https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/. And it was a whole lot better than when I last explored these things (4-5 years ago!). I couldn't get it to show zero flow through an open tube of a doable line length as I could before. All the same, the calculator did suggest I use 32ft of 3/8" line to get a "10 second pour" which would be impractical and quite un-necessary. Using the calculator would most certainly result in beer that looked flat (no head).
Hi PeeBee

Apologies - I just meant for OP’s benefit that if he isn’t wanting real ale style beer (which - sorry - is relatively flat in beer terms!) then he ignores line balancing at his peril. I have unfortunately poured too many pints of foam which settle absolutely flat and with inexplicably ruined flavour to see the comment “ignore line balancing” and not say anything :)

It’s been a while for me too since I last had to mess around with this but I reached a similar conclusion on 3/8” line and thus go straight to (a significant coil of) 3/16” on the cold side of my chiller. Having a chiller and kegs at ambient is also a factor in my reasoning.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:15 pm

Jambo wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:42 pm
Hi PeeBee

Apologies - I just meant for OP’s benefit that if he isn’t wanting real ale style beer (which - sorry - is relatively flat in beer terms!) then he ignores line balancing at his peril. I have unfortunately poured too many pints of foam which settle absolutely flat and with inexplicably ruined flavour to see the comment “ignore line balancing” and not say anything :)
Yup. Flat beer is what you get if you smash all the gas out of it when serving.

Guy

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:24 pm

Jambo wrote:
PeeBee wrote:
Jambo wrote:

Hi PeeBee

It’s been a while for me too since I last had to mess around with this but I reached a similar conclusion on 3/8” line and thus go straight to (a significant coil of) 3/16” on the cold side of my chiller. Having a chiller and kegs at ambient is also a factor in my reasoning.
Agree with all of that.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:26 am

Jambo wrote:
Hi PeeBee

Ah, you are right! It's me who's allowed myself to get side-tracked by one of the "splinters" in the thread. The OP doesn't mention low-pressure carbonation, that came later.

Rather than criticise I should have been silently applauding your efforts to get the thread back on track.

However … "real ale style beer (which - sorry - is relatively flat in beer terms!)" is fighting talk! Not that there's any fight in me, I couldn't disarm a two-year old girlie who may be armed with a rattle.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:11 am

Jambo wrote:
Aside from the line where I'm trying to emulate a cask pour, my other lines for the keezer are all 3/16". Line length calculations get a bit difficult and the type of tap you use also has a significant effect so it's a bit more trial and error.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:44 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:26 am
However … "real ale style beer (which - sorry - is relatively flat in beer terms!)" is fighting talk! Not that there's any fight in me, I couldn't disarm a two-year old girlie who may be armed with a rattle.
Good job I didn't say anything about it being warm and oxidised then :D