Induction hob brewers?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Induction hob brewers?

Post by aamcle » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Evening All.

I believe that at least some induction rings allow you to set the temperature of the liquid in the pan.

How accurate is this?
If I were to set it to 66C would I really get that temperature?
Is it effected by the amount of water in the pan?

Thanks All. Aamcle

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Induction hob brewers?

Post by IPA » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:40 am

I use an induction hob to heat sparge water. But I don't think the thermostat is accurate enough to mash with. The temperature gradually creeps up. However I will experiment in the next couple of days.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:42 am

I did a test yesterday and the answer is no. It's like putting a pan on a low gas. It eventually reaches boiling point.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:04 am

Is this for an automated small scale setup?
Although there are induction jobs that use wireless thermometer in the pan to maintain temperature (it means you can also sous vide in them etc), they are pretty new to market and usually for built in kitchen ones; there are also some very high end standalone ones that don’t require a thermometer but they get very expensive.
The Sous Vide Supreme water bath uses a heat pad inside to get to and maintain temperature pretty successfully, although in common with other hidden elements I would ensure that you clean the surface above it properly for any scale to prevent its life span being reduced. It means it does take about a minute to raise 1C but for an automated start and to maintain mash temperature it might be a better bet. The SVS supreme will also hit 99C (although other cheaper ones won’t), so you could either go for a simmer or transfer to another vessel; you might be wanting to do the latter in an automated system anyway to remove the wort from the grain.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:47 am

Thanks All.

Aamcle