iSpindel charging

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jase
Steady Drinker

iSpindel charging

Post by Jase » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi Guys,
Not sure how many have built the iSpindel, I haven't assembed it yet, I'm just preparing the parts, but I'm a bit confused about charging the battery. Can the battery be charged while in place, just by plugging in the usb cable, or is the usb connector simply to allow the firmware to be updated?

I've also read recomendations to remove the diode on the Wemos D1. Its mentioned in amongst other places here . I understand the reason, for protecting the battery against over voltage. However, if the switch is in the off position, that appears to make it safe, but if that is correct and the diode doesn't need to be removed (if I ensure the switch is off), how does it get charged?

Thanks

J

Jase
Steady Drinker

Re: iSpindel charging

Post by Jase » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:52 pm

I can answer my own question now, having buit the iSpindel. Charging is via the separate TP4056, but since the Wemos is also connected to the battery, when the cable is connected to the Wemos, it sends the 5V to the battery. Hence why they recomend to remove the diode. When posting the above question, I had forgotten there is a separate charging circuit.