Kegs.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Kegs.

Post by Crafty Tim » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Just got some Brewferm mini Kegs with a pouring tap . Looking forward to filling them!! I have two mini Kegs that I bought from a pub a while back. I was surprised to learn that I can remove the bung at the top and reuse them. Good times

Sent from my POT-LX1A using Tapatalk

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Kegs.

Post by MashBag » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:43 am

Yup. I reuse anything you can.

If you have the right bottle opener you can reuse crown caps.... Many many times

Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Post by Crafty Tim » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 am

MashBag wrote:Yup. I reuse anything you can.

If you have the right bottle opener you can reuse crown caps.... Many many times
ImageImage it's an ever resourceful hobby

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm

CT,
I`ve re-used mini kegs many times.
I find the easiest way to remove the bung is to remove the open/close thing
then push the red centre thing into the keg,
then use two spoons (no sharp edges) to lever out the bung. The red thing will come out
when rinsing the keg. Then just put the red thing back in the bung.
If the bung is damaged you can buy replacements.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Keg-5-L ... Sw0rdcEBAG

Happy Brewing! :D

WA

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:35 pm

I too have reused mini kegs, but whatever they upset or line the inside is wafer thin and any tiny scratches can lead to rust and “tinny” beer. I had this on one occasion, so the offending keg went straight in the recycling bin. Not bothered much with th3m since then - I’ve acquired a few kegs as well as PBs, plastic pins and still plenty goes into bottles.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Post by Crafty Tim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:40 am

I have 3 Brewferm kegs that come with just the hole at the top and no lower Tap and I have 3 other kegs that I have reused . I've thrown the black and red bungs away as I have a few of grey bungs with the plastic centre the pushes through (+ I damaged the black ones a little)

I've had a brew in two kegs for the last two weeks so gonna give it a go on the weekend

Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Post by Crafty Tim » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 pm

Works a treat ! This is definitely the way forward!!

Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Post by Crafty Tim » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 pm

Forgot to add the photo ImageImage

Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Post by Crafty Tim » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 pm

A bit lively but it's been shaken in the car

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm

CT,
Beer looking good there! :D
Crafty Tim wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 pm
A bit lively but it's been shaken in the car

That`s what she said! [-X

WA

Crafty Tim
Steady Drinker

Post by Crafty Tim » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am

Cheers buddy

Pigster
Steady Drinker

Post by Pigster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Hi,
Looking for a bit of advice.
I’ve done a few standard English brews and have split these between bottles and reusing 5litre mini kegs (the supermarket variety).
I’m finding the bottled beer tastes pretty good and I use the bottles as a gauge of when the kegs should be good to go.
But moving onto the kegs I’m getting a strong metallic taste which spoils the beer. They’ve all been cleaned and sterilised but are they just not really reusable?
I did find spots of rust on one so that went straight to recycling but today’s keg looks fine yet the beer is awful (and it’s bottled variety was good!).
Am I doing something wrong or is it time to ditch the minis as not fit for reuse?
Cheers!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:37 am

Hi Pig(ster),
I've re-used mini-kegs, but I also had a experience and have pretty much given up (re)using mini-kegs.
My hypothesis is that the inside of the kegs has a very thin liner which does not survive many re-uses.
You do need to be super careful when removing the bung to avoid any scratches as they will quickly rust and the rust will propagate (just like cars used to) into the inside of the keg.
Any rust inside the keg will lead to the metallic taste you are reporting.
Bottling is much safer in this regard.
Kegging is good too, but more kit is needed and kegs aren't quite so portable, but you can get 2-5L growlers and there are lids for these which can be connected to gas lines and taps using the same connectors as corny kegs. This makes for carrying a smaller quantity to parties etc. similar to mini-kegs. This route is clearly more costly than bottling or mini-kegs, though.
Cob(nut)
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Pigster
Steady Drinker

Post by Pigster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Thanks Cob! All makes sense, I’m pretty careful with them but maybe not quite enough! Bottling a such a faff so kegs seemed a good way forwards - particularly as I don’t want to just throw them away. I use a new bung each time but makes no odds if the beer goes down the drain!
Is there any way I can test them aside from having a good look inside with a torch?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Pigster wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm
Thanks Cob! All makes sense, I’m pretty careful with them but maybe not quite enough! Bottling a such a faff so kegs seemed a good way forwards - particularly as I don’t want to just throw them away. I use a new bung each time but makes no odds if the beer goes down the drain!
Is there any way I can test them aside from having a good look inside with a torch?
Not sure if there's anyway to test for rust. Maybe put some water in to soak for a few days and taste it?

I'm sure some clever soul on here will have a wonderful idea! They usually do :D