A better spunding valve?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
McMullan

Re: A better spunding valve?

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Now, now, PeePee! Calm down, boy! It’s home brew. Don’t ruin it! Please retire back to your plagiarised historical ‘treatise’. Seems to keep you from bothering folk with your normally obsessively compulsive daily routine of typing utter shite about pressure, cheap regulators and your fittings. We all really love your historical thread, for the right reason :D

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:21 pm

:D

That's more like it! And I thought you were going soft. I couldn't handle an "McM" that wasn't predictable.

Anyway, I've got to get back to a very important bit of "plagiarising" …
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:32 pm

The John Guest cutter McM recommended arrived today. What an astounding bit of kit! Super clean cut.

Guy

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:27 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:32 pm
The John Guest cutter McM recommended arrived today. What an astounding bit of kit! Super clean cut.

Guy
My "Stanley" knife does "super clean" cuts too!

Like this one …

(Carol … have you got a plaster?)
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Back on the day they institutionalised these people. Now they group online 😱

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:25 pm

MashBag wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:38 pm
It is worth noting the cut end does not form part of the seal. However much you spend on the cutters, but it should be clean cut and not leave rough bits as these can damage or unseat the o rings when inserted.
While they won’t compromise the seal, cuts that aren’t clean or straight can also cause fobbing when used on the dispense side of a keg.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Here's my "better spunding valve":
20210821_182158_WEB.jpg
20210821_182158_WEB.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
:out
!!! The relevant bit is the Shako NR200 regulator, the other bits are for controlled venting of pressure and mutually benefit from sharing components with the "spunding" valve. The spunding valve benefits from the large trap (water filter housing) to prevent the spunding valve being filled with froth if the ferment is a bit over excited. Unlike "Blowties" the Shako regulators don't enjoy being filled with froth from over-excited fermentations; a bit of a disadvantage over "Blowties", but the accuracy has to come at a bit of a cost. The spunding valve (regulator) has a check valve on the input to delay disastrous depressurisation should the "back-pressure" be disconnected.

Going back to another half-crazed "project":
PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm
McMullan wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:10 am
Did you use a pair secateurs, PeePee? :lol: I haven't noticed any problems with Kegland's blowtie spunding valves, personally. They work exactly as intended without any issues. But I'm not looking for an issue to complain about, in a compulsively over-the-top way :wink:
Damn! I was sure I had a dead-cert windup and it fell flat, even got a nearly civil response back. Usually mentioning his "pal" David Heath (Norwegian HB shop proprietor and prolific HB video blogger) is enough to induce apoplectic outpourings from "McM". Obviously that "Borg" has adapted and I need to alter the frequency of my phasers. ...
I wasn't satisfied with my previous "fix" so a bit more tuning is in order. Almost got it ...
McMullan wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:01 pm
:lol: =D> For another €120 David knob-cheese Heath pushes a Norwegian product (designed by appsters reinventing shit) that can text the weight of a keg. That should get around it 😆 Innovative Norway at its ‘finest’. No surprise Norway remains a cowering unreluctant petrostate trying to convince themselves - especially since Monday’s IPCC report - Norwegian fossil fuels are different 😂 Loads of shite ideas promoted by dicks like David Heath.
Rats, wrong thread. I'll need to keep tinkering with the frequencies.

(All plagiarised with utmost care by PeeBee).

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:18 am

That OTT contraption is conclusive evidence suggesting something about your personality, PeePee. I don’t mean to mock your issues, but I do find it a little bit funny sometimes.
516B0481-F5CD-454C-A68F-CEC4C6977BFA.jpeg
516B0481-F5CD-454C-A68F-CEC4C6977BFA.jpeg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
When I think there might be a chance of fermenting beer foaming out through the spunding valve, I use this set up:
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG (484.28 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
It’s very easy to set the pressure using the gauge on my CO2 regulator. If yeast break out, simply disassemble, clean and reassemble. Easy as 1-2-3.

Note too that I’m not responsible for Norway. According to the latest surveys (they do like their bloody surveys - seem to consider them more valid than scientific data 😱) only about 35% of Norwegians would agree with me. Shocking really. A true measure of Norway, in reality. I’ll let you think about it. I’m no more responsible for Norway and its wank-stain politicians than I am for you, PeePee. You might find it helps if you engage your brain and open your eyes occasionally. To peek over that bloody contraption, that is :lol:

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:12 am

:(

No good. My "re-tunings" just not having the desired effect. "McM's" ramblings aimed at me just seem a bit tame now. It's "adaptions" seen to be wider in scope. I'll just have to keep my head down or people might start believing "McM" actually likes me!

I'm sure I can look forward to some of "McM's" full-on rants in the near future.

If anyone can suggest some additional "enhancements" to my "spunding valve", I could incorporate them. That seemed to show glimmers of what I should expect from "McM". Wasted all Saturday building the thing though, and it's a bit broad brush (the earlier incarnations even wound up our "soon to be" administrator!). It does work as a spunding valve though, and a keg venting tool, and a device to get stones out of horses' hooves.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:41 am

Here, PeePee, I thought this possibly right up your street:
iu-28.jpeg
iu-28.jpeg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
It might even have an inbuilt spunding valve. But it might cause some conflict, when you need the kitchen sink :lol:

KISS!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:25 am

Eeek, my last post was completely off-topic. I'll be getting into trouble, so:
swiggingpig wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:34 pm
This is the valve I use along with bits from the old useless spunding valve.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pneumati ... s/2108443/

I find it very granular and accurate.
I played about with those SMC AP100s, but found it rather "leaky" at low pressures. I got the impression they were for air-compressor systems where a bit of leakiness didn't matter. But if they work okay for you, perhaps mine was dodgy? But they were expensive! (Comparatively).

I didn't mention when proposing the NR200 regulators: Because they are regulators the "set pressure" needs to be set about 70% lower than the intended "spunding" pressure. So I set my regulator at 12psi, and it starts venting at 17psi. This might seem a bit high, but I ferment "under-pressure" in a keg, and there isn't much headroom. But the over-pressure supresses the foam from fermentation. I set the regulator pressure at 10psi once (venting at 14psi) and ended up with a regulator full of beer foam.

McM: I love the knife; I can do without a kitchen sink (but does it have a dish washer?). Where can I buy one? Does your mate David Heath sell 'em?

[EDIT: "I played about with those SMC AP100s, but found it rather "leaky" at low pressures." but as they work much like "Blowties" that might be what "Carnot" was pointing out regarding "back-pressure all over the place"? And I didn't have a faulty device? Just providing nothing to force them shut other than a weak spring.]
Last edited by PeeBee on Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:33 am

PeePee, the acronym 'KISS' wasn't used an abbreviation of 'keep it stupid simple'. I should have mentioned that, thinking about it now :lol:

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:29 pm

No need. That acronym hadn't crossed my mind ... perhaps it should of? Anyway, shh, people will start talking.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:29 am

McMullan wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:22 pm
I see, they look a bit like the tube cutters Kegland sell. I'm sure they work fine. A lot better than a pair secateurs. I'd rather spend literally a few quid more, though, and get the JG cutters. Had mine for over 10 years. Refitted the bathroom and central heating system in our old house. Lent them to a couple mates doing similar projects. Now used mainly for my home brewing needs. Work just like the day I first got them. Top quality. John Guest made in France.
So, to summarise then, if you happen to already have a pair of hydraulic brake pipe cutters, and are looking to chop the normal sized tubing used in cornie keg set ups, then they can be put to perfectly good use .

On the other hand, if you are planning on re-plumbing a whole house, refitting the QE2, ior just like coming onto otherwise friendly brewing forums and being a bit tiresome, other options would be more suitable.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am

The blowtie valve that I ordered from the kegland store on AliExpress arrived last week and I now have it spunding away on a beer that I made over the weekend. I am very happy with it: it seems to hold a really steady pressure and is very easy and quick to fine-tune. Overall a vast improvement on the previous one. Once again, many thanks for all the advice.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.