Refractometer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Daz1737
Tippler

Refractometer

Post by Daz1737 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:24 pm

I've just bought a refractometer and was wondering if you had any tips or advice on its use? Thanks

f00b4r
Site Admin

Refractometer

Post by f00b4r » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:48 pm

They are usually pretty easy to use but a couple of thoughts:

- calibrate it using distilled/RO water (I admit to not doing this every brew and sometimes using tap water to check is not been drifting but the homebrew ones and the usual hydrometers are not lab grade ones so I am not expecting lab accuracy)
- use a disposable pipette to put wort onto it, trying to put on clear wort and not bits of break material etc
- clean it straight after a reading (I just use water it sometimes starsan from a spray bottle when brewing, but then always rinse after with water before it dries and concentrates)
- take a reading under a bright light, this makes a big difference in how easy it is to read (you usually twist the eye piece end to bring it into focus)

Remember that once fermentation has started you cannot use one to measure gravity without using a formula/calculator to account for fermentation. TBH though I often do and find using the Terrill Cubic calculation (on the Refracto iOS app) is usually pretty accurate although some grists will require a different wort correction factor if you want more accuracy. If wanting to know when fermentation has completely finished then it is fine and you can then always take a hydrometer reading.

Daz1737
Tippler

Re: Refractometer

Post by Daz1737 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:04 pm

Thanks

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:01 am

Calibration varies dependent upon the temperature of the instrument. Other than that it is one of the most valuable instruments to have on a brewing day.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:42 am

It's also worth noting, they come in a variety of types (different scales). Make sure you have the right one, for the right job.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:45 am

I have a Chinese one (are there any other ones?) I rarely calibrate it and it is spot on with my hydrometer. Invaluable on a brew day before fermentation
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:55 pm

IPA wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:45 am
I have a Chinese one (are there any other ones?) I rarely calibrate it and it is spot on with my hydrometer. Invaluable on a brew day before fermentation
:shock: they must all be made in China. I have a Vee Gee with automatic (whatever that means?) temperature compensation (10-30 C) that’s almost as expensive as a digital, and it’s made in China.
I checked calibration when I bought it but it was already perfect, and haven’t checked it since.
One of the most useful tools I ever bought along with the Thermapen. I used to dread trying to determine preboil gravity with a hydrometer.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Daz1737
Tippler

Post by Daz1737 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:46 pm

I can third that. Brilliant tool.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:17 pm

Always remember; to load with sample, then take it outside... put one hand behind your back and stand bolt upright, holding the instrument to your eye with the other hand ...

The measurement won't be any better, but if anyone sees you, you'll look dead cool.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:58 pm

Another recommendation is to use only three drops from the pipette. I've seen some videos where the operator near drowns the thing!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:44 am

Blimey. That is high tech.
I dip my finger in & smear it on the glass.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:43 am

For what its worth. I use an 1/8 th of a teaspoon.
Regards
Patch

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:36 pm

Even coverage is needed so I confess I’m a drowner outer. I want to be sure I get a good sample with no dilution. The plastic flap squeezes out any excess.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:36 pm
Even coverage is needed so I confess I’m a drowner outer. I want to be sure I get a good sample with no dilution. The plastic flap squeezes out any excess.
Me too. Frequent washes between readings, dried with a clean soft cloth, and further readings if any doesn't fit with previous ones. Also it is vital when taking a kettle reading during sparging and there is likelihood of layering, that the wort be stirred. Vastly easier than using a hydrometer and equally accurate.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.