Remote chiller with flojet for fermentation Q

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hodda
Steady Drinker

Remote chiller with flojet for fermentation Q

Post by Hodda » Wed May 10, 2023 10:33 pm

Hi all,

Looking at a remote chiller instead of the ferm fridge to allow me some more fermentation vessels.

On a remote chiller - the ones with a flojet recirc/python pump. As I see it, I have two options:

1)remove product coils, drop in a small pump linked to inkbird to turn on and pump chilled water/glycol when needed etc.

Or

2)use the flojet pump to pump the glycol/water - however the Flojet runs continuously when cooler is on so I’d have to control the flow using solenoids/inkbird combo.

Is there a way to have cooler on (controlled by its own controller) but the recirc pump only on when required - ie controlled by fermenter inkbird?

The flojet connects to the chiller via kettle type lead so unsure if wiring a plug onto it then attaching to inkbird would suffice in terms of voltages etc?

Scoured the threads to no avail? Ideas?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Remote chiller with flojet for fermentation Q

Post by guypettigrew » Thu May 11, 2023 7:56 am

Hi Hodda

Don't know if this will help, but this is how I do it.

The maxi 110 is on all the time, so there's always an ice bath. The pump comes on as needed, with ice cold water immediately available.

happy to answer any questions you might have.

Guy
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (108.79 KiB) Viewed 2219 times

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Ok, so my flojet has a kettle type lead that plugs into and gets power from chiller.

Can I chop off the kettle end, fit a plug and then have it controlled independently via inkbird?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri May 12, 2023 1:50 pm

Hodda wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm
Ok, so my flojet has a kettle type lead that plugs into and gets power from chiller.

Can I chop off the kettle end, fit a plug and then have it controlled independently via inkbird?
Any chance of a couple of photos, please? I'm not quite following what you're asking.

Guy

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Fri May 12, 2023 10:21 pm

Yes, hopefully they upload.

One pic is the front of the chiller - to the right of the stc is a female kettle lead insert.

The other pic is the recirc - flojet 230v 0.9a - is has a male kettle lead fitting on end which plugs into the main unit / draws power and is one as per stc.

I can either not attach it but then have to use different mini pumps to pump glycol via and inkbird (expense of new mini pump)

Or somehow use the flojet to pump glycol - but when attached to chiller it’s on all the time - so to achieve a pump when needed approach I need say an inkbird to control it rather than main unit - so I’d had to remove male kelle lead en and replace with plug (no prob) and then plug into an inkbird which has probe in fermenter - however unsure if the 230v 0.9a will be an issue and by then I’d have cut the end off
Attachments
F3155FCB-A9E1-4815-9FF1-7FEDE1CECB17.jpeg
F3155FCB-A9E1-4815-9FF1-7FEDE1CECB17.jpeg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 2126 times

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Fri May 12, 2023 10:39 pm

Here’s the end of flojet
Attachments
F804BD6C-F2A2-406C-9E43-413307C0C8A3.jpeg
F804BD6C-F2A2-406C-9E43-413307C0C8A3.jpeg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 2126 times

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat May 13, 2023 8:53 am

Good drawing Guy. That has confirmed something about cooler setup for me too. Thanks.

I have done similar but with a fridge.
Fridge holds a 25l jerry can of cold water (not glycol) with a submersible pump, controlled by the inkbird. This feeds a kegland temp twister in the fermenter.

It removes1°c in little over 1 minute. I think some insulation on the pipes might reduce this further., but they are thick wall, plat cured silicone.

Thoughts?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat May 13, 2023 9:00 am

Hodda wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Yes. But don't chop it. Just plug a kettle power cord into it for the inkbird.

Sounds like there is a few of us getting ready for summer brewing.

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Sat May 13, 2023 10:26 am

Ok so you’re saying attach a normal female kettle lead to the male lead of the pump, then plug this into inkbird?

If so, that makes sense - I don’t know though whether mains to inkbird to pump provides too much current ie over 0.9a?

Does an inkbird regulate current? Won’t it supply 13a to the pump and cause issue like blowing it or something?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 14, 2023 7:04 am

An inkbird is 10a I wouldn't go that far, but the pump at 0.9a will be fine.

All the inkbird does (simply) turns the heating or cooling socket on based on temperature.

The pump will 'pull' want it needs. Just the same as if you plugged in into the wall.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue May 23, 2023 9:43 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:56 am

The maxi 110 is on all the time, so there's always an ice bath. The pump comes on as needed, with ice cold water immediately available.

Guy
Guy,

Can I ask why the ice bath?
Was the chiller not able to keep up? Or is it "quicker with a buffer tank".

Looking (only 😁) at the new BM and there isn't a buffer tank.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue May 23, 2023 10:28 am

MashBag wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:43 am
guypettigrew wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:56 am

Guy
Guy,

Can I ask why the ice bath?

Looking (only 😁) at the new BM and there isn't a buffer tank.

What on earth are you talking about MB?!

There is an ice bath in the Maxi 110. About 5 litres. A coil sits in the ice bath. Another coil sits in my SS Brewtech fermenter. When the thermostat switches the pump on it moves ice cold water round the two coils which work in an enclosed loop system.

So much for the power of pictures! I thought the diagram was pretty explanatory--obviously not.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed May 24, 2023 7:27 am

Sorry my mistake. There are a few different stops out there.

Why the bucket of water. Same question.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 24, 2023 8:20 am

Ah, the bucket of water--a different question!

At the end of every fermentation I empty the water out of both the two cooling coils and attached pipes. This is so the lid of the fermenter can be taken off and cleaned.

At the beginning of fermentation I need to refill the system. So I turn the pump on by dropping the temperature on the thermostat. This allows the pump to take water from the bucket, pump it round both coils, expel the air in the system then return it to the bucket. Once there's no air in the system I push the return pipe onto the inlet of the pump. This makes an enclosed loop. If the return pipe wasn't pushed onto the pump inlet the Maxi 110 would be cooling the bucket contents as well as the fermenter contents. Very inefficient!

I could, once the closed loop is established, take the pump out of the bucket. But as there's no need and no benefit I don't.

Hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed May 24, 2023 2:53 pm

Guy,

Thanks. Smashing answer. I don't need the bucket then, nothing to do with cooling, it's for setup.

I was thinking that perhaps the system required a buffer tank for some reason that had escaped me. And yes I had see that would be very inefficient...