My igloo RIMS system - help needed please!

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: My igloo RIMS system - help needed please!

Post by Rhodesy » Tue May 26, 2015 8:45 am

orlando wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:No I never crushed my own, the MO I used in particular seemed quite fine and alot of flour. I never thought or Rice Hulls but may consider them next time out. I doughed in at 40c. I may over stirred also but really wanted to avoid dough balls
Why mash in at 40c, MO is a really well modified so you should mash in at a higher strike temp so that the mash falls to your desired mash temp fairly quickly. Sounds to me like you have run the pump too hard and it has sucked the mash down onto the FB and compacted. The idea is to "float" the goods and to run the pump slowly to avoid not just compaction but channeling. I like the Electric Brewery system but finesse it by using an old tin foil container a chicken came in, punching a lot of holes in it and feeding the return hose into a bigger hole in the side. This spreads the returned wort over a wider to area to keep everything floating. Yesterday's brew returned an efficiency of over 90% and took over an hour to complete using this method. What was your grain to liquour ratio?
Yeah, I do believe that I have ran the pump too hard and that has been the root of my problems. The blichmann auto sparge should allow me to gently recirculate, I can adjust that as necessary the next time. I went 3L/Grain but clearly compacted the grain . The next attempt I shall be opening that outlet valve very slowly and taking my time.

Are you guys using 12" false bottom or similar?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 26, 2015 9:25 am

Rhodesy wrote:
orlando wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:No I never crushed my own, the MO I used in particular seemed quite fine and alot of flour. I never thought or Rice Hulls but may consider them next time out. I doughed in at 40c. I may over stirred also but really wanted to avoid dough balls
Why mash in at 40c, MO is a really well modified so you should mash in at a higher strike temp so that the mash falls to your desired mash temp fairly quickly. Sounds to me like you have run the pump too hard and it has sucked the mash down onto the FB and compacted. The idea is to "float" the goods and to run the pump slowly to avoid not just compaction but channeling. I like the Electric Brewery system but finesse it by using an old tin foil container a chicken came in, punching a lot of holes in it and feeding the return hose into a bigger hole in the side. This spreads the returned wort over a wider to area to keep everything floating. Yesterday's brew returned an efficiency of over 90% and took over an hour to complete using this method. What was your grain to liquour ratio?
Yeah, I do believe that I have ran the pump too hard and that has been the root of my problems. The blichmann auto sparge should allow me to gently recirculate, I can adjust that as necessary the next time. I went 3L/Grain but clearly compacted the grain . The next attempt I shall be opening that outlet valve very slowly and taking my time.

Are you guys using 12" false bottom or similar?
My FB covers the whole of the bottom of the MT. At 3l/Kg you have a fairly wet mash I think I go for something like 2.7 l so you should have less of a compaction/set mash problem. I admit I set by eye, don't know how much per minute it runs at, obviously depends on the power of the pump but getting the flow rate right then calibrating the PID to that flow rate is a key element, you then need to remember what the flow looked like or somehow mark the Autosparge and set it to that each time. Couple of pictures to illustrate.

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue May 26, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks! My 12" domed number covers mine so think I am ok on that front. I think the autosparge will be key as if set right then it will match the flow in to the flow out I think I can tinker with it to set the resting point of the float to be sufficient in that regard. I am going to back in the saddle and test again with water later in the week purely to check on flows as appreciate playing with grain is a different ball game.

I go quite much with 3L/Grain as had read to do that elsewhere but will likely go back to 2.7ish as that was what was set on my Beersmith prior.

Thanks again for the tips

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
I go quite much with 3L/Grain as had read to do that elsewhere but will likely go back to 2.7ish as that was what was set on my Beersmith prior.
Grain ratio is an interesting topic in itself, the Continental Brewers (the English have always felt separate from the rest of Europe :lol: ) historically had very wet mashes partly due to their use of decoction, the English have always gone for a thicker porridge, probably because it was easier to maintain mash temps in our chillier Winters (I'm guessing). For single infusion I think you are better off at the lower ratio range but it does of course bring you into stuck mash territory if your not careful. If you use a lot of wheat in a brew pumps are the least of your problems, rice hulls or Oat husks help. I've also read that mash density has an affect on enzyme activity a thicker mash providing a little more protection from its mass against rapid change in temperature.

Sounds to me like you have the gear to sort the problem out pretty quickly, keep at it because RIMS mashes are really efficient in time and extraction potential. :beer:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue May 26, 2015 4:30 pm

orlando wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:
Grain ratio is an interesting topic in itself, the Continental Brewers (the English have always felt separate from the rest of Europe :lol: ) historically had very wet mashes partly due to their use of decoction, the English have always gone for a thicker porridge, probably because it was easier to maintain mash temps in our chillier Winters (I'm guessing). For single infusion I think you are better off at the lower ratio range but it does of course bring you into stuck mash territory if your not careful. If you use a lot of wheat in a brew pumps are the least of your problems, rice hulls or Oat husks help. I've also read that mash density has an affect on enzyme activity a thicker mash providing a little more protection from its mass against rapid change in temperature.

Sounds to me like you have the gear to sort the problem out pretty quickly, keep at it because RIMS mashes are really efficient in time and extraction potential. :beer:
I have been doing some reading on that subject today as it happens!! As always the info from users on here is top notch. It was a lesson learned in fairness and not one I hope to repeat again, dont mind making a mistake once :D. I will go with 2.7L as it is in between the 2.5L & 3L I so often hear quoted. I am doing an American Wheat in a couple of weeks but may try that using the traditional method as my first time using 50% Wheat!

Do you tend to mash out? This appeals to me using RIMS if it means that once sparging into the kettle there is not the chance that some sugars are still converting which may thin out an intended medium/fuller bodied beer.

Cxp073

Post by Cxp073 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:48 pm

I always mash out... I think it's a good habit to be in. It denatures the enzymes, locking in the profile. If you don't, then they may continue acting after your scheduled mash time. I think there is also some added benefit to efficiency as well..

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue May 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Cxp073 wrote:I always mash out... I think it's a good habit to be in. It denatures the enzymes, locking in the profile. If you don't, then they may continue acting after your scheduled mash time. I think there is also some added benefit to efficiency as well..
Yeah this was a major selling point for me. How has your efficiency been since moving to RIMS?

Cxp073

My igloo RIMS system - help needed please!

Post by Cxp073 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Cxp073 wrote:I always mash out... I think it's a good habit to be in. It denatures the enzymes, locking in the profile. If you don't, then they may continue acting after your scheduled mash time. I think there is also some added benefit to efficiency as well..
Yeah this was a major selling point for me. How has your efficiency been since moving to RIMS?
To be honest, I haven't done the calculations yet. I would estimate 80% using the batch sparge method. I know I can get it up even higher, but I'm not too concerned. I'm more concerned with consistency and dialling the system in fully.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Cxp073 wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:
To be honest, I haven't done the calculations yet. I would estimate 80% using the batch sparge method. I know I can get it up even higher, but I'm not too concerned. I'm more concerned with consistency and dialling the system in fully.
yeah definitely, my plan is to get full dialled in and comfortable with it all and then can look at these things and if/how it can be improved.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Finally got round to doing a brew on my setup having recently been set up with a PID. I made an APA which I mashed at 65c and then a mash out at 78c. The process went quite smoothly this time and was nice to see such super clear wort. Efficiency came in around 85% which was great also.

The one thing I did change prior to brewing was the PID to only power the element at 25% max to avoid scorching which was thanks to Cxp073's blog on setting up his PID, this was very useful for me. Delighted to have finally got a chance to use this and look forward to having complete control over future brews.