See-through RIMs tube?

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: See-through RIMs tube?

Post by Aleman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:02 am

orlando wrote:
Aleman wrote: I should have a 1.5" Triclamp 34mm Sight glass in my hands in a week to 10 days . . . I'm using it to harvest yeast from the conical.
Agh now that has piqued my interest (see Unicorns thread as to why) can you tell me more about this?
Attach valve to conical, Sanitise sight glass in autoclave filled with deionised water . . . cap, add a hose barb to valve . . .draw of trub and most flocculant yeast. remove hose barb and clean valve spray with 70% alcohol, remove cap from sight glass, attach to valve, open valve . . . the sight glass will then fill with clean yeast. When full remove it and seal with another sterilised cap.

Or at least that is my theory :D

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 am

Aleman wrote:
orlando wrote:
Aleman wrote: I should have a 1.5" Triclamp 34mm Sight glass in my hands in a week to 10 days . . . I'm using it to harvest yeast from the conical.
Agh now that has piqued my interest (see Unicorns thread as to why) can you tell me more about this?
Attach valve to conical, Sanitise sight glass in autoclave filled with deionised water . . . cap, add a hose barb to valve . . .draw of trub and most flocculant yeast. remove hose barb and clean valve spray with 70% alcohol, remove cap from sight glass, attach to valve, open valve . . . the sight glass will then fill with clean yeast. When full remove it and seal with another sterilised cap.

Or at least that is my theory :D
Well as you can imagine I didn't understand a word of that so will have to wait until there are some pictures. However, I kinda got the gist so seeing will be eblieving. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Parcel from mrlard! As you can see, the sight glass fits his spilt rims tube nicely :D
IMG_1478.JPG
With a little persuasion, the element doesn't touch the sides.
IMG_1479.JPG
:lol:

Looking forward to getting it plumbed in!

Steve

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:27 pm

And I have mine in my greasy little hands too

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:44 pm

Aleman wrote:And I have mine in my greasy little hands too

Agh, now I see where you were going with this, excellent, a simple way to harvest yeast, I like it. From Mr L too, surprised he didn't try to flog me one of those to go with the Unicorns:D ?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Very nice!

So much for concentrating on brewing eh? The lure of 'shiny' is irresistible! #-o

Seriously though, one wishes that more options were available that sold complete set ups from the get-go, without having to make stuff and faff around. If Mr Lard or some one could make a complete rig using good equipment (like mr lard has) from starter kit with cooler box mash tuns, berco hlt, immersion chiller etc through to 3 vessel fully RIMsed or HERMed mash tuns, counter-flow chiller kit on stainless frame etc, i'm sure there'd be a market. There are lots of suppliers in the US and in Os for such kit, there is potential I'm sure!

Would have saved me tons of cash and hassle over the years.

Oh well, on with the build! (again!)

Steve