Preventing a stuck mash

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
davew
Piss Artist

Preventing a stuck mash

Post by davew » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Last time I ran my RIMS system I got a stuck mash and my inner basket filled up and emptied the outer pot. What's the best way to try an prevent this?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Fermenting: Wilkos Cider
Drinking: Wilkos Hoppy Copper (very nice)

BenB

Re: Preventing a stuck mash

Post by BenB » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:10 am

Are you using pre-crushed or crushing your own? Can you add some rice hulls?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

Reducing speed of recirculation can reduce compaction of the mash bed, it can also help to build to the desired speed gradually and to avoid too much depth/weight of wort building above the grain. Too fine a crush and/or too much stirring of the grain can liberate finer clogging flour, and with high percentages of stubborn grains (like wheat) rice hulls or oat husks (etc) may help, as Ben suggested.

But whatever you do there will be limits; some systems (and grains) are more free-draining than others. Systems such as the Grainfather have a central overflow so that the element and pump remain flooded even if the recirculation through the grain does clogg. The Braumeister design means that clogging can't cause the inner pipe to take up more wort.
Kev

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:47 am

Avoid suction on the mash tun caused by a siphon effect.

I kept getting stuck mashes, when running a length of hose from the tap on my MT bottom drain. The hose dropped down to a collection bucket or sometimes a pump that I'd use to recirc. What I hadn't realised was that the drop on the hose was causing suction on the grain bed.

The moment I changed to having the end of the hose above the bottom of the mash grain bed (meaning liquid was running out under gravity only) all my mash problems stopped.

If you need to run a pump off this then you want to run off into a lauter grant that is used as a reservoir for the pump inlet.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Glad I came across this post, I've been having terrible trouble recirculating with my HERMS.

2 brews ago I used a lot of crystal rye so I put in some rice hulls and the circulation was much better, Sunday my brew was all pale malt and terrible circulation again, I gave it a stir and the grain bed was compacted on the false bottom, in desperation I got the bag of rice hulls out and chucked a load in, gave it a stir and circulation was fine again!

So I've concluded I need to put in 1-2% rice hulls in every brew from now on!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 pm

You could use a mash bag. A but like a voile bag that BIABers use, except designed to fit mash tuns. You can just lift the bag for easy agitation then

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 am

also when starting the recirculation start slow and build up to the optimum flow rate, just the same as gravity draining the tun, if you open the valve slowly to full it works fine but if rushed straight to open gravity can pull the grains down with the liquor.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 am

You don't mention liquour to grain ratio, this can make a difference too. Slightly looser and crucially keeping the grain bed "floating". This requires a good inch or so of sparge water above the grain. I concur with the comments on pumps starting and running slowly is probably the most important, with husks if you are using a particularly high beta glucan adjunct.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Running a chugger pump, 60L tun with perforated false bottom, 11kg grain / 30+ litres water. I've so far had it fairly well throttled back and no problems. However, it takes quite a while to pump out into the boiler. Dare I consider working up to full flow or is that idea asking for a stuck mash?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:14 am

johnmac wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Dare I consider working up to full flow or is that idea asking for a stuck mash?
It's better to run the pumps gently whether recirculating the mash or sparging. If it is a full volume mash then you could try turning up the wick and see what happens but as you do the pump will suck down the floating bed risking a stuck mash.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer