RIMS recircultion question

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
Biomedbrewer

RIMS recircultion question

Post by Biomedbrewer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm

I am in the process of setting up a RIMS system using a Malt Pipe inside a tea urn. I’ve had a look at other set-ups but the one thing I am having difficulty with is how do you make sure that all of the liquor is recirculated? From what I’ve seen the wort flows through the bottom of the malt pipe onto the bottom of the outer vessel then is drawn out via the pump. What happens to the liquor up the sides of the malt pipe? When you first fill the system with mash liquor the water level outside the malt pipe will be the same as inside. If you then recirculate the liquor/ wort back into the top of the mash pipe does the fluid between the two vessels stay put?
Should I not worry about it because the volume is relatively small in comparison to the rest of the wort and it will all mix in at the end of the mash anyway?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: RIMS recircultion question

Post by Fil » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:00 am

your over thinking it, unless you go BM bottom up your unlikely to employ a seal between the kettle base and malt tube so it wont be totally closed off from the side volume.

And as soon as you pull the malt tube regardless if you sparge the grain or not the liquor will mix thoroughly anyway,
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Biomedbrewer

Re: RIMS recircultion question

Post by Biomedbrewer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:08 am

I thought so. I always procrastinate, takes me ages to make decisions. Next big decision is temperature controller. So much choice. probably go for a PID module with thermistor. Any recommendations appreciated.