STC 3000 - Suitable for RIMS?

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

STC 3000 - Suitable for RIMS?

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Probably wishful thinking, but worth asking just in case!

I'm hoping to make a basic RIMS system to use in a 19L BIAB set up. I understand that the STC 1000 910 amp) isn't suitable for this due to the heavy load. I've just found this STC 3000 (30 amp) controller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STC-3000-All- ... 5ias9UxZnw

Would this be suitable or would it quickly burn out too?

Cheers in advance,

Floyd ;-)

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: STC 3000 - Suitable for RIMS?

Post by jaroporter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

in theory it should be fine, as you've got a fair cushion from a 3kw element (if you even need that much).

in practise.. i might be a little skeptical, it's not exactly unknown for cheap import shıt to be capable of much less than advertised. nothing stopping you wiring in a trusted relay to do the job though..

people tend to use PIDs for RIMS systems though, which are not a lot more expensive
dazzled, doused in gin..

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 pm

The current handling is better than the normal 10amp jobs and so it would likely work for longer. But I believe it still uses a mechanical relay so its longevity will be relatively short in very rapid-switching applications. Also it is a simple on/off thermostat rather than a PID, so will be less able to avoid over-shooting etc.

It kind of depends on the setup; if the element power and flow rate were balanced closely to the heat required, then response rate and switching frequency needn't be that rapid at all. But a high power element and slow or variable flow rate may need keeping under close control, and would be better suited by a PID and SSR IMO; it is the kind of thing they are designed for.
Last edited by Kev888 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 pm

fwiw i use a similar box to control the kitchen fridge after its thermostat threw a wobbly.

however you can use an stc1000 and reap the benefits of its OVBS firmware as the box can be modded to output a dc voltage suitable to drive 1 or 2 x ssrs which can handle the load switching and rapid switching for herms/rims https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p/b ... /README.md
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Cheers boys.

I reckon I'll go for the STC 1000 added relay option as I have experience in STCs. PIDS are a bit scary!!

Please could someone send me a link to a suitable relay?

Also, I've read that the relay needs a separate 12v power supply?? Please tell me it doesn't!!!

Cheers folks!

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:49 pm

jaroporter wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm
in theory nothing stopping you wiring in a trusted relay to do the job though..

Cheers boys.

I reckon I'll go for the STC 1000 added relay option as I have experience in STCs. Thanks jarporter!

Please could someone send me a link to a suitable relay?

Also, I've read that the relay needs a separate 12v power supply?? Please tell me it doesn't!!!

Cheers folks!

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm

if you have a v1.0 stc1000 you can pull the +v and GND off the program header pin holes to make your circuit switched by the relay to fire your 2ndary relay. if not use the switching terminals from the installed relay directly.

an ebay 25a SSR heatsink combo is probably the cheapest option when you consider mounting options for a 2ndary power relay.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Hold on a minute... just found this. :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122481923654

Maybe I should just take the plunge.

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

fwiw when looking at pids the rex brand had a poor rep, a lot to do with folk not buying the ssr version and clarity between the different versions, but they may have had operational issues too, iirc they can be 'tricked into reading wide of actual temp if the target is changed mid use. i ended up buying the sestos brand which is very similar in operation to the US brand Auber

EDIT and.. the type k thermacouple probe will be tricky to seal and is mild steel for the most part so will also probably rust too.

it s very cheap tho..

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Cheers Fil. The sestos is a decent price too.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Quick (and prob stupid) question on these PIDS...

I'm planning on making a Grainfather style brewery for the kitchen. After I mash/RIMS, can I simply set the PID to 100c for the boil or will this be too much for the PID or SSR?

Worth asking in case I kill myself/blow something up!!

Cheers as always :wink: :wink:

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 pm

After I mash/RIMS, can I simply set the PID to 100c for the boil or will this be too much for the PID or SSR
as long as the ssr is suitable rated for the current it'll be fine,or you could add a switch to bypass the ssr totally to save messing about with the pid
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 pm

You will probably have an 'overide on/off' option with a pid, but setting a target temp above the boiling temp of beer should also work.

Tho setting the pid to not use the pid algorithm and work as an on off stc1000 type controller is probably best for the boil otherwise it may end up applying just enough juice to maintain a baby boil rather than the full on rolling boil especially if your selected target is too close to the boil temp of your brew (fwiw ive recorded 109C boils).
You may also have the option to set a 75% 50% or 25% duty cycle too depending on the model you select.

If you buy a pid be prepared TO DO A BIT MORE READING THAN YOU PERHAPS BARGAINED FOR.. they are after all an industrial solution to efficiency/cost when heating/cooling industrial volumes of materials.

However for a OVBS i would suggest a reflashed stc1000 is worth a good look, its what i control my g/f with after upgrading the supplied stc200 that was fitted in the control box. the replacement firmware and a wee h/w hack provides the drive voltage to the relay terminals for ssrs, and can also accomodate 2 x element control via ssr and afaik a pid like algorithm and pump control too all detailed in the link above.. there is a specific One Vessel Brewing System firmware available distinct and separate from the usual brew-fridge upgrade..

(If you do opt for the stc1000 upgrade, drop the default element power settings to 50-75% of the default value or risk scorching the wort and burning residue on your element/s well thats a tip if using a g/f and i assume it will be similar for a clone/copy.. you can always up the setting on the fly if the boil is not vigerous enough but you cant dial it down after the fact.. )

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am

Cheers Fil. Very helpful response as always.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 am

Fil wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm
i ended up buying the sestos brand which is very similar in operation to the US brand Auber
Hey Fil,

I should have listened to you from day one!!! Bought a REXC100 bundle only to find out that it is incompatible with a PT100 probe. :-( Ah well.

So... I bought a Sestos PID on your recommendation. Am I right in thinking that I can simply hook up the the SSR/heatsink that arrived with the REXC100?

Cheers