Starsan--have I got this right?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
super_simian
Piss Artist

Re: Starsan--have I got this right?

Post by super_simian » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 am

God I wish I'd found this tool sooner! Although I am pleased to see my rubbish maths brain was pretty close - I had been going by the smallest volume of StarSan I could measure (being 1/4 tsp) and adding the correct amount of water (~820mL) and the spreadsheet backs that up - I would like to be able to make less though!

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm

super_simian wrote:God I wish I'd found this tool sooner! Although I am pleased to see my rubbish maths brain was pretty close - I had been going by the smallest volume of StarSan I could measure (being 1/4 tsp) and adding the correct amount of water (~820mL) and the spreadsheet backs that up - I would like to be able to make less though!
You can !

Buy a few cheap 2ml (they are often graduated in 0.1/0.2ml increments) syringes of eBay and you can make up smaller amounts 100ml (0.16/0.2ml) if you like!

Cheers!

Guy

Underthethumb

Post by Underthethumb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:36 am

Can I just spray one squirt into each bottle without rinsing afterwards?

Ta

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Underthethumb wrote:Can I just spray one squirt into each bottle without rinsing afterwards?

Ta

Not sure if 1 quirt would be enough to ensure you cover / sanitise entire inside of bottle.

When I put my empties away I rinse away yeast then quick once-around with bottle brush, rinse then about 6 squirts if Starsan and cap with plastic resealable cap. It takes seconds.

When I'm bottling I just shake out excess SS and bottle. No need to rinse.
Tiny amount of SS left in bottle provides food (phosphates) for yeast in bottle.

Underthethumb

Post by Underthethumb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm

jmc wrote:
Underthethumb wrote:Can I just spray one squirt into each bottle without rinsing afterwards?

Ta

Not sure if 1 quirt would be enough to ensure you cover / sanitise entire inside of bottle.

When I put my empties away I rinse away yeast then quick once-around with bottle brush, rinse then about 6 squirts if Starsan and cap with plastic resealable cap. It takes seconds.

When I'm bottling I just shake out excess SS and bottle. No need to rinse.
Tiny amount of SS left in bottle provides food (phosphates) for yeast in bottle.
Nice one - thanks