PBW caustic soda replacement

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
alix101
Under the Table

PBW caustic soda replacement

Post by alix101 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 pm

I've looked at PBW as an alternative to caustic but its so expensive is there a uk equivalent. ..I don't fancy caustic id like something less harmful.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

RajBoab

Re: PBW caustic soda replacement

Post by RajBoab » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 pm

PBW is great but alas expensive.

I use a blend of washing soda and cheap oxy cleaner with a small spot of unscented washing up liquid (Ecover) for its wetting properties.

Super cheap Tesco unscented dishwasher tabs are also a good choice when on offer. Crush and use.

Caustic is good for sealable containers where you can slosh around and avoid skin contact. I tend not to use it though.

Stuart

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 am

Queequeg

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 pm

This is something I have done some research on but have yet to try out.

American folks seem to use Oxiclean, which is essentially Sodium carbonate (soda crystals), Sodium Percarbonate, and a surfactant. You can't readily get Oxiclean in the Uk.

PBW is essentially the same thing but contains sodium metasilicate which is a trisodium phosphate replacement, which makes the solution more alkaline and improves it the performance of the percarbonate and carbonate mixture. It also contains a chelating agent which prevent depostions of crystals onto your brewing equipment if left to long.

However you can get Dri-Pak Laundry Boost from £2.15 for 750g from Tesco which is essentially PWB without the chelating agents. The ingredients of which are listed here

http://www.productingredients.net/dripak.htm

Sodium sesquicarbonate (a triphosphate subsitute)
Sodium percarbonate
Sodium carbonate
tetraacetylethyleendiamine (this makes the percarbonate work at lower temperatures, something that PBW dosn't do)
Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate ( a surfactant)
Laureth 7 (a surfactant)

It perfume free and in theory its cleaning power should be comparable to PBW, in fact better at lower temps. If you wanted to do a long soak you would need to add Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid to stop crystall residue. I shouldn't think you would need to add sodium meta-silicate because of the sodium sesquicarbonate. If you add EDTA it can be bought on Ebay here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130820963952? ... 1438.l2649

of which you will need to add around 5% by weight.

196osh

Post by 196osh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:24 pm

I use a combo of Sodium Percarbonate (2/3) and Sodium Metasilicate (1/3). Works great.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Greetings all, i have been trying to remove limescale/food debris from a stainless steel commercial boiler (its only on the outlet tube which is hard to get to). I have tried a bottle of vinegar overnight which removed a little but this is a build up over many years so i need something with a bit of umph. I believe some of you use citric acid? would this be up to the job? Edit i have also tried soda crystals overnight soak.
thanks
Keith