Tap/Spigot Cleaning

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
TempTest

Tap/Spigot Cleaning

Post by TempTest » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Dear Brewing Wizards and Sanitisation Gods,

*** A long(ish) thread but please stick with me on this one! ***
*** Pics had to be changed to links because they are too large - Please click the link to see the photo in question! ***

I have only completed one brew (currently conditioning in bottles as we speak) and have used my bottling bucket twice. After both uses I thoroughly unscrewed the tap, separated the nut and washer from the tap and gave all components (including the bucket itself!) a quick clean in PBW, rinsed and left to air-dry. Before next use I use StarSan solution.

I'm in the process of preparing a dip tube for the tap (separate story) and last night I was handling the tap while working out what components would be best. While doing this I noticed on the bottom of the tap a brown 'smudge'. It did not wipe away when I put my finger inside the tap. A quick inspection showed the tap assembly is in two parts and at some stage some gunk had got inbetween these parts. See photograph of the tap below (gunk is barely visible, about halfway up the tap body above the plastic marking):

http://i.imgur.com/w0aUkta.jpg

This morning I, with a bit of brute force, separated the tap into its individual parts. See photograph below:

http://i.imgur.com/sdnbQ7t.jpg

Here is a close up of the gunk:

http://i.imgur.com/91vlRqj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/S5wE97E.jpg

I've done some research this morning and apparently the body of the tap is in two parts so that the tap can be rotated in-situ.

So, I have a few questions:

1) Is it normal to have to strip down a tap to this level? This minor build up was after only two uses!
2) Does this affect the life of the tap?
3) There appears to be some sort of grease between the two parts of the tap - I assume to form a good seal. In wiping the gunk away this grease has been removed. Is it necessary to re-grease? And if so, what product can I use? I imagine Vaseline is not food grade?

Relevant, but secondary questions:

4) I use the wideneck wine fermenter tap (Waddington and Duval) on my fermenter (photograph follows). Does anybody know if this separates in a similar way? Below it's solid black in colour it's not possible to see any gunk build up and likewise it's hard to see how the tap is constructed to know whether it can be separated or not.
5) As the bottling bucket tap, I clean the tap body, washer and nut separately in PBW, rinse and use StarSan before use - Is anything necessary beyond this on the W&D style tap?

Thank you so much for your help - Please do add any comments you have as I'm currently a bit apprehensive about starting my next brew until I'm sure these are sanitary - I would not want an infection in only my second brew!

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Tap/Spigot Cleaning

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 am

I don't have any of those style taps any more, I've replaced them with 'Drum' taps like this: -

I regularly dismantle these completely for cleaning. You prise out the plastic cap on the top of the tap handle and screw out the tap.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

TempTest

Post by TempTest » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks Jim. Do you know if Vaseline is food safe? Am I okay using that to grease up the two parts of the tap when re-assembling? I don't imagine a lot of beer will come into contact (after all, if much did the tap would be leaking - but clearly *some* does else it would not have needed cleaning in the first place).

Thanks!

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:53 pm

I've recently gone the other way! i.e. moved from the W&D drum style taps (like Jim's pic) to the type as per your last image.

I found that the W&D drum taps had a small lifespan and started leaking. I did regularly fully disassemble them however for cleaning, I would imagine that's what reduces their lifespan.
Dan!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:22 pm

I wouldn't put vaseline anywhere where it will come into contact with the beer - being oil-based it might affect the head retention.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:27 pm

i got a few FVs/bottling buckets with those first kinda taps. after every use (don't trust them at all.. ) i fully dismantle them and do some of the following - wash them out, soak in oxi, scrub with a toothbrush/bottlebrush. can't say i've ever noticed any vaseline-type seal/lube. if there was it'd be long gone by now and i got no issues with leaks. i'd clean your tap, to hell with the vaseline, test it with an FV full of water.
dazzled, doused in gin..

TempTest

Post by TempTest » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Andy wrote:I've recently gone the other way! i.e. moved from the W&D drum style taps (like Jim's pic) to the type as per your last image.

I found that the W&D drum taps had a small lifespan and started leaking. I did regularly fully disassemble them however for cleaning, I would imagine that's what reduces their lifespan.
Do you still disassemble the black style taps for cleaning?

TempTest

Post by TempTest » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Jim wrote:I wouldn't put vaseline anywhere where it will come into contact with the beer - being oil-based it might affect the head retention.
I've been considering this litle dilemma. Found some silicone grease which, according to a search, is the same stuff as 'Keg Lube' but having spoken to the manufacturer incidental/limited contact silicone grease still kills head rentention (apparently anti foaming is one of the main uses for this sort of grease in industrial applications!). I have, however, found a fully direct silicone grease which has all of the necessary food gradings including a note about not affecting (specifically) beer head retention... Price though at over £5/10grams.

TempTest

Post by TempTest » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 pm

jaroporter wrote:i got a few FVs/bottling buckets with those first kinda taps. after every use (don't trust them at all.. ) i fully dismantle them and do some of the following - wash them out, soak in oxi, scrub with a toothbrush/bottlebrush. can't say i've ever noticed any vaseline-type seal/lube. if there was it'd be long gone by now and i got no issues with leaks. i'd clean your tap, to hell with the vaseline, test it with an FV full of water.
At least I'm not alone! I called Youngs to find out what grease should be used. They were not even aware the tap could be pulled apart but after showing them photographs they confirmed it should not be and instead sent a new tap claiming the original one must have had a fault for a gunk to even get in. I'm still not sure though. It seems that given the design it's just not possible to ensure nothing gets in between the two parts of the body.

I still think some sort of grease is a good idea (and mine definitely has some on). My only need for grease is this so I'm reluctant to spend money on an expensive grease for a cheap tap but likewise I would not want to use Vaseline and impair the beer.

I could use nothing but it seems like that's asking for trouble. A good grease and a clean/sanitisation routine and I'd feel the need to only strip the tap down every so often rather than every brew.

Decisions, decisions!

MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly » Sat May 17, 2014 3:53 pm

I have some of that gunk in the taps of my kegs but to be honest it doesn't worry me one bit. I just run plenty of sanitiser through them while in the barrel and rinse with lots of water - I don't even take them out of the barrel.

Maybe I'll die of something from the taps, but it's not happened yet. 8)

I should probably take them apart, but hey-ho, I'm a bit lazy.

TempTest

Post by TempTest » Sun May 18, 2014 9:44 pm

I ended up buying some silicone grease which actually advertises, in it's datasheet, that it is approved for brewing and specifically states it will not impair head retention. I've not used any yet though! I think I'll strip the tap and clean it now I have the silicone and will keep an eye on it. Maybe strip it every X uses, as a compromise...