Cleaning

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
TAR

Cleaning

Post by TAR » Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi there, I have just joined this Forum and introduced myself on the Guestbook.

I have about 2000 new bottles to clean - any advice on my method below would be very much appreciated.

1 - I hot wash, (very Hot), with soap and water and scrub bottles with Plastic Wire Wool, give the bottles a really good swirl inside as well and rinse to remove all soapy water and drain

2. Stand bottles in a Sodium Metabisulphite solution, about 1 heaped teaspoon to 20 litres, for about 20 minutes, then drain till dry before use.

My concern is the inside of the bottles - how well do the manufacturers clean the inside of the bottles when made and can I improve on the inside cleaning.

I get a bit 'anal' about this and wake up in the night hoping I am not going to poison someone.

Cheers

TAR

gibbiem

Re: Cleaning

Post by gibbiem » Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm

I just wash bottles with soapy water and then starsan them before filling and I'm still alive.... I think

barry44

Post by barry44 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Rinse them out three times with hot tap water, drain and starsan them. Lid goes back on and they stay that way until I fill them again.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Sat May 24, 2014 6:57 am

barry44 wrote:Rinse them out three times with hot tap water, drain and starsan them. Lid goes back on and they stay that way until I fill them again.
You mean you recap clean sanitised bottles? That's quite good actually as I find myself washing them all again on bottle day as they live in the shed

simmyb
Piss Artist

Post by simmyb » Sat May 24, 2014 7:42 am

I pretty much do the same. Rinse with hot water and starsan. Sometimes I fill the bottle with hot water and leave to stand for half an hour before starsan to make sure any yeast crud is loosened. I have some grolsh type bottles which I flip the lids back on, standard bottles get a square of tin foil on top to stop bacteria laden dust dropping in.

I also tend to starsan again before bottling using a bottle washer squirty thing, but I suspect there would be no ill effects if I didnt bother...
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:12 pm

gibbiem wrote:
barry44 wrote:Rinse them out three times with hot tap water, drain and starsan them. Lid goes back on and they stay that way until I fill them again.
You mean you recap clean sanitised bottles? That's quite good actually as I find myself washing them all again on bottle day as they live in the shed
Gibbie, I use coopers PET bottles.

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:15 pm

simmyb wrote: standard bottles get a square of tin foil on top to stop bacteria laden dust dropping in.
That's sounds like a good idea for glass bottles.

As I pour my beer, the hot water tap goes on and I ensure that the bottle is clean inside before I take a sip!

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sat May 24, 2014 1:39 pm

I just clean mine with hot water, then store upside down. I then rinse with water and star san. I dip the mouth of the bottle in star san too. Every few brews, or if they have been allowed to sit for while before cleaning, they get a soaking in oxy
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

schlafsack

Post by schlafsack » Sat May 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Where did the bottles come from? Were they sold as clean? The might just need a quick rinse with sanitiser.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:04 pm

2000 bottles I'd advise getting something to prevent your self losing the will to live