Cleaning a Mash Bag

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
monkey_doctor

Cleaning a Mash Bag

Post by monkey_doctor » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:44 am

Guys,

My mash bag is pretty stained, though i wouldnt call it dirty. I was just wondering if i could put it in my washing machine to clean it? would it shrink or impart a taste?

Thanks

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:09 am

I'd be a bit cautious about using normal washing powder - you don't know what's in it.

Maybe a hand wash with soap flakes followed by a thorough rinse?

FWIW, mine's never had a wash in twenty years. :P
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

monkey_doctor

Post by monkey_doctor » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:08 am

just used sunlight soap and hot water - it cleaned it up a bit but it is still pretty stained. Should do the job.

lol, jim, if its good enough for you then its good enough for me.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:26 pm

I have 2 mash bags which I no longer use.

I used both whilst I was brewing with Extract. The first I would use to steep my speciality grain. The second I would use as an rather large Hop Bag.

The first is stained a rather nasty brown colour. The other is a puke green colour. At least I knoww hich bag was for which job :lol:

When I had finished with them I used to give them a good rinse and throw them into the washing machine with everything else. That is until the wife had a go at me when she kept finding little bits of Hops and Grain in the babies nappies....

After that I washed them on their own. When I did that I don't think I bothered with washing powder, just put on a rinse cycle.

Now, I don't bother using them. In the near future, I may try using one as a hop bag again to see whether this helps with my wort collection.

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:54 pm

I just leave mine in a weak strerilisation solution.

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:46 pm

i rinse mine out in the sink with water then put it out on the line for about a month until i remember it. by then its got a layer of bird poo and dead flies all over it , a quick shake and its ready to go again. stops others from drinking my beer too :lol:

mr.c

Post by mr.c » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 pm

ColinKeb wrote:i rinse mine out in the sink with water then put it out on the line for about a month until i remember it. by then its got a layer of bird poo and dead flies all over it , a quick shake and its ready to go again. stops others from drinking my beer too :lol:
LMAo!!!! :lol: