Using Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
CJR
Under the Table

Re: Using Starsan

Post by CJR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Considering a move to Starsan. I'm currently using Antiformin S and I'm wondering why you don't need to rinse it out. Is the beer even slightly affected taste-wise by leaving the Starsan in the corny as you fill?
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 am

CJR wrote:Considering a move to Starsan. I'm currently using Antiformin S and I'm wondering why you don't need to rinse it out. Is the beer even slightly affected taste-wise by leaving the Starsan in the corny as you fill?
No. I always tip out the starsan as much as I can but you can't taste the residue. The combination of PBW and Starsan is peerless in my view.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Crankwood

Post by Crankwood » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 am

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/samenyje.jpg[/IMG]

Don't fear the foam, when bottling it's a reassuring sight when it comes out the top of your bottle ahead of the beer. It's tasteless and does no harm at all.

My bottles get thoroughly cleaned as soon as I use them. The night before bottling day they are put into a big plastic container from IKEA ( it's MASSIVE and cost about £11) with oxy clean then before bottling they are moved straight into an identical box which is permanently full of around 40 litres of made up starsan. No rinsing, ignore the foam and clean bottles every time.

berts

Post by berts » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:59 pm

can you use rainwater to mix, Is it any good to use.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

berts wrote:can you use rainwater to mix, Is it any good to use.

Having seen what's in the rainwater where I live then I'll pass ;) If you happen to live in the Outer Hebrides then possibly :)
Dan!

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:11 pm

Tesco's Ashbeck water is recommended, though RO water which is much cheaper would be fine.
Best wishes

Dave

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:09 pm

CJR wrote:Considering a move to Starsan. I'm currently using Antiformin S and I'm wondering why you don't need to rinse it out. Is the beer even slightly affected taste-wise by leaving the Starsan in the corny as you fill?
Dont ditch the Antiformin S, I used starsan alone and still had a few problems. When I switched to antiformin they all disappeared. Now I use the starsan as a final neutraliser after everything is clean and rinsed off.

berts

Post by berts » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Andy wrote:

Having seen what's in the rainwater where I live then I'll pass ;) If you happen to live in the Outer Hebrides then possibly :)
point taken thanks. I'm a ex pat living in rural oz now the rain water here is a differant kettle of fish, I only have rainwater tanks to supply household water which is filterd.The beer which i make from it tases good so i will not worry about whats in the starsan mix.

berts

Post by berts » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Im reading that starsan can have an affect on metal , Does it damage the spring on the inside of the bottle rinsers. The kind that can fit on top if a bottle tree. Bert

Nofolkandchance

Post by Nofolkandchance » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 am

orlando wrote:
No. I always tip out the starsan as much as I can but you can't taste the residue. The combination of PBW and Starsan is peerless in my view.
Yes PBW at £20 quid + a kilo :shock: Have you tried this http://mistralni.co.uk/products/sodium- ... tAodOCkA6g ( it's not the supermarket oxi)

I've tried both and bang for buck this is It's streets ahead of PBW

BenB

Post by BenB » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 pm

Interesting link. 5kg seems the one to go for. What concentration did you use? Currently using PBW and very happy with it but by 'eck it's expensive. I seem to get through about £10 worth each brewday!

techtone

Post by techtone » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:02 pm

BenB wrote:Interesting link. 5kg seems the one to go for. What concentration did you use? Currently using PBW and very happy with it but by 'eck it's expensive. I seem to get through about £10 worth each brewday!
I'm also interested in this so does anyone just use sodium percarbonate alone without starsan (or similar) afterwards and in similar concentrations as the branded cleaner/sterilisers? (youngs/vwp/brupaks etc.)

Flibblebot

Post by Flibblebot » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:19 pm

I've never used percarbonate before - I always use VWP - but at the price, it almost seems rude not to give it a go.
Personally, I'd use percarbonate with a final rinse with StarSan just to be sure (no such thing as "too sterile", right?! 8) )

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:33 pm

I use percarbonate, rinse and then use starsan.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:08 pm

i have use the brewshop percarbonate branded chem-pro oxi iirc circa £8 per kilo, again going from memory alone it recommended something like 15minutes of active sanitation time once mixed up? so not an ideal solution.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(