Oxi Powder with Percetic Acid

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
mikes

Oxi Powder with Percetic Acid

Post by mikes » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:22 am

Hello all, I may as well make my first post a big one!

I was just picking up some oxi cleaner from my local Poundland (Wizz oxi powder fabric stain remover, pry, not screw lid to be precise and un-fragranced) and I noticed something interesting on the label - "100g contains 0.66g Peracetic Acid from 50g Sodium Percarbonate & 1.0g TAED" and thought "Excellent, potentially a cleaner AND sanitiser!?" :shock:

Chemically it contains Sodium Percarbonate & TAED (TetraAcetylEthyleneDiamine) an activator which reacts with the hydrogen peroxide released by the sodium percarbonate when mixed with water to produce peracetic acid. The reaction also creates DAED (DiAcetylEthyleneDiamine) which I haven't found a huge amount on information on other than seemingly low toxicity... :?

Looking at sanitisation concentrations of peracetic acid, I have found references to a wide range of no-rinse concentrations from 80 - 1000 ppm. Across home brewing forums, many people seem to be mixing 5% peracetic acid at a ratio of 20ml to 1000ml water which gives 1000 ppm - a 0.1% solution. Commercial wine and brewing data sheets seem to suggest between 80 and 200 ppm for a no rinse solution, so I am aiming for 200 ppm for now to use as a no-rinse formula to shake around my FV, unless stronger would be recommended? I would pre-clean the vessel prior to using this sanitising rinse.

Back to the oxi powder, from the label it has 0.66g peracetic acid per 100g (thus a 0.66% solution) so 1g would contain 0.0066g of peracetic acid. For a 200 ppm concentration, I would need 0.2g of peracetic acid per litre of water, so would need 30g of oxi powder.

So what I am wondering are people's thoughts on this?

Would this work? Do people think the ppm should be higher?

Would this concentration of Sodium Percarbonate mean it would leave a residue, so not no-rinse?

Any further info on TAED?

Many thanks,

Mike

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Oxi Powder with Percetic Acid

Post by Pinto » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:28 am

I came across the same thing when I looked into the Vanish "Extra Hygiene" - basically the same stuff. Issue with the vanish is they saw fit to add "perfume" of an unknown type to it which runs a serious risk of taint.

If this poundland stuff is unperfumed then it looks very promising as a sanitiser; given the chemistry, I'd not use it for a "no rinse" scenario.... but honestly, how hard is it to rinse something with water ? :lol:

Could make a very nice alternative (and much, much cheaper) to PBW

Seems TAED is considered virtually harmless....

http://www.heraproject.com/files/2-F-04 ... b%20wd.pdf
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

mikes

Post by mikes » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for the feedback Pinto, I had noticed your posts about Vanish "Extra Hygiene" - seems it has 3.07g Peracetic Acid (from 40g Sodium Percarbonate & 4.6g TAED) so actually a stronger concentration, but I see as well as Perfume it also has Anionic Surfactants, Non-Ionic Surfactants, Enzymes (Protease, Mannanase, Amylase) so not so great - but have you successfully used it as a sanitiser (rinsing obviously) ?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:47 am

I did use it successfully, but in a role as a pre-rinse sanitising cleaner for heavily soiled bottles, FVs and other brewerania and it performed its task very well. The Surfactants are there as detergents to break down oils and the enzymes are there to break down organic matter - I think that its aimed at, shall we say, soiled laundry tasks :lol:

Just the perfume put me off.

I think I'll be taking a peek at the poundland stuff now tho.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

mikes

Post by mikes » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 am

Did I say I hate rinsing? :=P Just mainly due to limited space / small sink. Been using VWP, but the full fill, long contact time and multiple rinses afterwards are a pest.

I am specifically looking for a final sanitiser, preferably no-rinse nor going to accidentally kill me, but if one rinse was sufficient that would be fine. I tried using some of this oxi solution at 200ppm peracetic acid level (30g to a litre of water) to rinse around a FV to make a batch of TC - I then drained and forgot to rinse... :oops: Fermenting away now, so if there was any residue, it doesn't seem to have hampered that aspect at least...

I might make up solution at 500ppm (75g) next time to sanitise then rinse and see how it goes.

I have emailed Wizz for a datasheet on this formulation as the one on their website is just sodium percarbonate.

Just to note - my Poundland had two varieties that looked the same from the front, but in different shaped containers - the one with the mention of TAED and peracetic acid was this shape http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/508%5 ... 25x225.jpg but with a pink design of label

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:05 am

Poundland stuff sounds very promising so thanks for the heads up =D>
However as I'm not 100% sure of all contents, my gut reaction is to use this to clean then a rinse or 2, then a final spray with star san as a final no-rinse sanitiser

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 am

Potentially you could have stumbled across the best thrifty brewing find ever.... I'm interested to see what the response would be from the manufacture.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Loads of this stuff in my local Poundland.
Dan!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Just been in £land and bought a couple of containers to trial.

Cheers
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Just be sure to check that its not perfumed I have had one from poundland that was, I always make a point of taking the lid off in the shop now and have a sniff to check :lol:
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Just done a sniff test and it is perfumed :x although doesn't say so on the box.

Oh well lesson learnt + I can still use it with the washing anyway.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Yup, perfumed here too! This stuff had a pink label on it whereas the previous (unscented) stuff (same manufacturer, also from Poundland) had a blue label, I guess that's the indicator.

Edit: Colour of the label doesn't seem to indicate scented/unscented.
Dan!

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:44 pm

I just hope the next batch poundland buy is the old original one.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

mikes

Post by mikes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Hmm maybe I have a terrible sense of smell! I only got a mild chemical smell from it - just to check barnee and Andy - was it a tub with a pry lid, not a screw lid?

Might get someone else to give it mine a sniff...

Cheers!

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Mine was a tab release lid. Also, the colour of the label doesn't seem to correlate to scented/unscented (as I mistakenly mentioned above).

So basically, sniff before you buy :)
Dan!