Sanitation - tips & tricks

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Belter

Re: Sanitation - tips & tricks

Post by Belter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Starsan is no rinse at the recommended dilutions. You can drink the stuff once diluted properly.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 am

Sounds delightful :lol: have you tried it?
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 am

Yeah a couple times by mistake when cleaning beer lines then pouring half a pint of starsan, half a pint of beer. Mmmmm

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:47 am

I have just had a look at the Five Star Chemicals website again.

I got a bit wrong and a bit right.

They have a drop down box with a choice of Home Brewing Chemicals or Craft Brewing Chemicals.
I only looked at the Home Brewing Chemicals Tech Sheets..

In the Home Brewing section they have IO STAR , SANICLEAN and Star San HB. I think the HB wil probably be for Home Brewing.

IO STAR A potable water rinse is not required after use.
SANICLEAN Just prior to start up rinse with potable water etc.... if used at a rate of more than 200p.p.m a potable rinse is required.
Star San HB Just prior to start up rinse with potable water etc.... and rinse equipment with potable water.

In the Craft Brewers drop down.

Star San (no HB in the name) No rinse requirement when used at 300 p.p.m.

I hope I have not hi jacked this one, so to make amends my Sanitation Tip is "READ THE LABEL"

Cheers All.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:56 am

minesapint wrote:I have just had a look at the Five Star Chemicals website again.

I got a bit wrong and a bit right.

They have a drop down box with a choice of Home Brewing Chemicals or Craft Brewing Chemicals.
I only looked at the Home Brewing Chemicals Tech Sheets..

In the Home Brewing section they have IO STAR , SANICLEAN and Star San HB. I think the HB wil probably be for Home Brewing.

IO STAR A potable water rinse is not required after use.
SANICLEAN Just prior to start up rinse with potable water etc.... if used at a rate of more than 200p.p.m a potable rinse is required.
Star San HB Just prior to start up rinse with potable water etc.... and rinse equipment with potable water.

In the Craft Brewers drop down.

Star San (no HB in the name) No rinse requirement when used at 300 p.p.m.

I hope I have not hi jacked this one, so to make amends my Sanitation Tip is "READ THE LABEL"

Cheers All.
I was unaware of the HB version, is there any info on why the "home" version should need rinsing? You would expect the home versions to be the less potent and so not require rinsing.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

minesapint
Piss Artist

Post by minesapint » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 pm

The only major differences in the Tech Sheets that I have noticed is that the Star San HB version, General Use instructions, only have two sections.
Brewing Tanks and Part Soaking.

The Craft Brewing Tech Sheet has five sections .
Directions, Part Soaking, Hand Utensils, Bulk Milk Tanks and Food Plant Use.

The Compliance Section for Star San HB Tells you to always sanitise equipment just prior to start up with a suitable sanitiser as required by local public health regulations.

The Compliance Section for Star San Tells you that it is authorised by the US Department of Agriculture for use as a general cleaning agent in official meat,poultry, rabbit, and egg processing establishments.

I don't know if they are different products in the bottles. Or is it possibly a case of different regulations for domestic and industrial use of chemicals.
It happens here in the UK.

These Five Star Sanitiser products should be perfectly safe to use if we just read the instructions and safety notes on the labels.

Well worth having a look at the Five Star Chemicals and Supplies web site, and reading their "Tech Sheets"

Cheers Again.

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:12 pm

You don't need to rinse starsan at the correct dilution e.o.f.s :)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:30 pm

All you need to do is go to this thread and get hold of jmc's superb PBW & Starsan calculators and all the info you need is there.

Can I suggest jmc is asked if he would mind having these in the calculators section, as this is a frequent subject of late? Mods?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I would be happy to convert the spreadsheets to a php page if jmc is amenable to the suggestion to put it on the calculator page

MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly » Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 am

Keep syphon tubes in the freezer between uses. Stops em going gunky.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 am

The problem with Star San is that it has a low pH (that's how it sanitizes). I tested a fresh crop of Star San solution yesterday, and the pH was 2.6. That's low enough to etch stainless steel.