How To Use Sodium Percarbonate To Clean Corny Keg?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
ChrisA

How To Use Sodium Percarbonate To Clean Corny Keg?

Post by ChrisA » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:18 pm

In a recent post I made it was suggested that I cleaned my keg using the active ingredient in the Oxy products (Sodium Percarbonate). Could anyone confirm that this is the correct stuff? http://bit.ly/16tXCrM

Also could anyone tell me how you use the Sodium Percarbonate to clean the corny keg? For example:

1. Assuming the product listed on eBay is correct, it is probably in a highly concentrated form so I was wondering what ratio of powder people used per 5 litres of water?
2. How long do you leave it in there?
3. Do you use hot or cold water?
4. How much of the product do you use?
5. Do you dismantle all the poppets etc and put them inside the keg with the product?

Thanks

Chris

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: How To Use Sodium Percarbonate To Clean Corny Keg?

Post by Fil » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Chris,
I just use the laundry oxy at about £2 a kg from wilco, tho i think its gone up recently?
to clean a keg I;
1) fill the keg with warm/hot water from the tap till its just over 1/2 full
2) add 1 or 2 scoops of the oxi and try and get the lid sealed quickly as the effervescence is sometimes enough to seal the lid tho not always.. if not i use co2.
3) with the keg upright i use a tspoon handle to depress the out poppet to squirt warm cleaner thru the dip tube.
4) then i upturn the keg and let a bit of cleaner out the prv and using the tspoon out the gas out post
5) leave standing for 15 mins or so, and upturn and leave for another 15 mins or so
6) empty the keg a bit more thru the popets and and prv before emptying and rinsing out well.

to sanitise 2-300ml of starsan or videne solution sealed in under co2 shaken and vented thru the poppets and prv till empty, and gassed up to keep sterile till used.

squirting out of the poppets and prv is a wet job and best done outside..

as for the product u linked to?? seems good IF the oxi products are bulked out with anything else??

if using laundry oxi just ensure u dont get a perfumed one,
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(