Milk Bottle

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Milk Bottle

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm soon going to culture up a the yeast from a few bottles of Bengal Lancer for a brew day over Christmas, and I was wondering if the milk bottles that I use would stand up to bringing to the boil in a pan of water and simmering for 10 mins to sanitise them ?.
Thought this may be a better way than my usual star san, I might be wrong but I presume that milk bottles are sanitised at the dairy with steam so it should be ok.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Milk Bottle

Post by barneey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Should be ok, I might even get around to using my crate of them at some point in the future. :lol:
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Will give it a go, worst that can happen is I will end up with a pan of sterile pieces of broken glass :lol:

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:29 pm

You should be fine as long as you immerse the entire bottle!

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:49 pm

I usually just pour boiling water into the bottle and stick some tin foil over the top of it while I'm boiling up my wort starter, pour the boiling water out and add the wort starter, allow it to cool down and add the yeast.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 pm

leedsbrew wrote:You should be fine as long as you immerse the entire bottle!
The plan is to warm up a sufficient amount of water to fill the bottles and the pan so as not to heat shock and then gently bring to a boil.
TC2642 wrote:I usually just pour boiling water into the bottle and stick some tin foil over the top of it while I'm boiling up my wort starter, pour the boiling water out and add the wort starter, allow it to cool down and add the yeast.
The idea is to boil them to make sure everything is as "sterile" as I can get it this time, seeing as the yeast in the bottle probably isn't particularly lively, it will get the best chance to grow that I can give it.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 am

FUBAR wrote: The idea is to boil them to make sure everything is as "sterile" as I can get it this time, seeing as the yeast in the bottle probably isn't particularly lively, it will get the best chance to grow that I can give it.
Boiling water will pretty much kill everything, I have used this method for numerous starters (including Bombay Lancer) with no worries about infection, give it a good malt environment to start and it'll be fine.

I have a beer on the go which has yeast cultured from a Red Shield bottle bubbling away nicely at this very moment.

As an additional safeguard I do make sure that the yeast isn't infected by trying a bit out of the bottle before I pitch it.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Well Ive just finished and 2 milk bottles are in the fermenting fridge with no problems,just a case of keeping fingers crossed the yeast has some life then step it up if it does.