How do you sterilise/clean?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Mther

Post by Mther » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 pm

As a newbie here I would like to ask your opinion about cleaning and sterilising the equipment.

I see many chemical unknown words here so I would appreciate if you could attach a link of what you use, or if I can find it in a supermarket.

I currently use VWP for sterilising which I don't even know what it contains... Should I rinse my equipment after using this VWP?

Is there anything cheaper? I pay £5 for 400g from my local homebrew shop.

For cleaning I just use water and washing liquid.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Cheers

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: How do you sterilise/clean?

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:18 pm

The instructions on the website say to definitely rinse your equipment after use. I imagine that the container would list the active ingredient. :-k
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Diluted bleach and then some sodium metabisulphate to neutralise the chlorine, much cheaper than VWP (which I used for a fair few years)
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:27 pm

As far as possible, i clean with plain warm water and elbow grease. I've never had anything get dirty enough that i need more than washing up liquid and a scrub really. I sanitise with star san.

You definitely need to rinse vwp after use.

GrowlingDogBeer

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:37 pm

I clean with sodium percarbonate, which is the active ingredient in all the Oxy type laundry cleaner powders. You can pick up a 1Kg tub of oky cleaner in Poundland or Aldi quite cheaply. Get the unscented one.

I santise with Starsan which you can get from http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... q3oofRdU5g It lasts ages, I am still on my first bottle and have been brewing a few years.

Mther

Post by Mther » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:47 pm

The last time I was cleaning my bottles I added 4 tea spoons of vwp in a half full bath and I didn't rinse!!! I hope I don't get poisoned!

I think I will go with the oxy and starsan! I dont really know what the other things you suggested are (except the bleach :) )!

Do you also use a spray bottle with some steriliser inside ?

Do you sterilise your HLT, kettle and boiler?

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Hot soapy water to clean. Malt millers own no rinse steriliser (starsan) to sterilise
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Hot soapy water and them a good rinse followed by Starsan.

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Percarbonate solution (I use Eco laundry bleach as it's 100% sodium percarbonate) rinse and then Star san!

I've recently starter to rinse the star san bubbles off with boiled water as well. This is cos I've seen what star San does to my hands (I have really bad dermatitis if not kept I check)......I do t want that in my beer!

LB

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Cut my teeth on VWP - its actually bloody good stuff if a tad expensive, and being a chlorine bleach based sanitiser, needs thorough rinsing. I still use it for bottle washing as it's dynamite for removing bottle labels (vwp soak for 10 minutes, swirl, into a hot rinse with campden tabs in).

Recently for cleaning I've tended towards using cheap (unfragrenced - important !) oxi powders from the pound outlets - perform very well with dirty kegs and tubs (but also needs a thorough rinse before further use)

Very recently, I discovered, however, the pleasures of StarSan - it was a revelation ! You just apply it and leave it to drain :) no rinse, and if anything, a little is beneficial to yeast and fermentation. Couple this with a 1l garden mist sprayer and it makes brewing a doddle - just squirt, wait a mo and use whatever you wanted to sanitise :D

Track down some starsan - you wont regret it !
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Mther

Post by Mther » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Thank you guys. I am certainly going for starsan and oxy for cleaning.

I have read some posts mentioning that star san can be reused ? How long does it last? Approximately, I don't want to check ph and stuff like that ;) can I store some in a spray bottle which I will empty in the FV, and after I sanitise everything put it back in the spray bottle? :p what water should I use? Is tap water ok? I live in Scotland if this makes any difference (Scots are proud for their water .... and whisky;) ).

Oh also, about the question I asked before. Do you sanitise the HLT, MT, kettle?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:47 pm

StarSan will effectively last as long as it takes to use it - as long as the pH remains around 3 its active. Starsan doesnt like being made with hard water IIRC, so its easiest to pick up a 5l bottle of ashbeck water from tescos and just squirt 7.5ml of starsan concentrate into it - shake to mix - its done :)

Some people fill tubs with it and use it as a sanitising bath - from what i've heard they use it till stuff gets a "film" or it becomes visibly contaminated - again, as long as the pH is 3 or thereabouts, its working. Use the sprayer for instant sanitising on things like brew paddles, hydrometers, FVs before filling, etc - just spray till coated and leave.

Im a little fussy about sanitising and like spraying starsan on anything that stops moving for more than 3 seconds :lol: for the lauter tun, mash tun and boiler it's not necessary as long as they are visibly clean - the boiling process is the most "sterilising" step of the whole beer process - so make sure you sanitise ANYTHING that comes into contact with post boil wort carefully (or everything you use if you make kits as there's no boiling step)

I know you said about pH testing, but for the sake of dipping a strip of paper in to it.... :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Mther

Post by Mther » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Pinto wrote:StarSan will effectively last as long as it takes to use it - as long as the pH remains around 3 its active. Starsan doesnt like being made with hard water IIRC, so its easiest to pick up a 5l bottle of ashbeck water from tescos and just squirt 7.5ml of starsan concentrate into it - shake to mix - its done :)

Some people fill tubs with it and use it as a sanitising bath - from what i've heard they use it till stuff gets a "film" or it becomes visibly contaminated - again, as long as the pH is 3 or thereabouts, its working. Use the sprayer for instant sanitising on things like brew paddles, hydrometers, FVs before filling, etc - just spray till coated and leave.

Im a little fussy about sanitising and like spraying starsan on anything that stops moving for more than 3 seconds :lol: for the lauter tun, mash tun and boiler it's not necessary as long as they are visibly clean - the boiling process is the most "sterilising" step of the whole beer process - so make sure you sanitise ANYTHING that comes into contact with post boil wort carefully (or everything you use if you make kits as there's no boiling step)

I know you said about pH testing, but for the sake of dipping a strip of paper in to it.... :lol:
:) thank you so much for all these very useful information! I appreciate it!

And you are absolutely right, I should just go and buy some papers and be sure that the solution works, than wasting it!

Cheers!

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 am

I used to be almost anal with cleaning. Would soak everything in expensive cleaners recommended by brewbuddies rinse and re rinse. until one day when i had a brew planned.. went to rinseclean my stuff and was empty.

Went to the poundshop equivelent in Norway, bought a packet og " glass and wine baloon) cleaner for 2 quid , and was quick, added the powder, filled with 5 litres of water, washed with a cloth rinsed and done. result... exactly the same as when using a cleaner for 9 and 10 quid.

This is the method i still use. The only other difference is that i now add a 5 litre solution of starsan to the Fv after washing it and shake the hell out of it. Airlock in the top, Starsan still in the FV, and leave it ready for next brewday.

Next brewday comes and i use the starsan through the brew process when i need to make sure things are clean.

No problems at all.
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

brewdog
Tippler

Post by brewdog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm

i use wilco oxi plus unscented cleaner £2 kilo cheap as chips then starsan.

never had a problem just rinse well before using starsan then all will be ok.