Star San/Hard water

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Star San/Hard water

Post by LeeH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:06 pm

All I know is 99p bags you 5L of suitable water from Tesco.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:33 am

cellone wrote:What I would like is an answer to achieving a low ph in hard water. Could vinegar be the solution?
If you use acids to adjust your alkalinity, then use that for your StarSan water. I use sulphuric or phosphoric.
Best wishes

Dave

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:43 am

It's not the alkalinity that cause it to go cloudy, it is the chelating agents in the star san complexing with the calcium in the water, while adding acid to reduce the alkalinity will help with the long term stability of the pH, it does not go a long way to eliminating the cloudiness (it does reduce it though) . . . . However, throughout my brewing career I have always equated cloudy sanitiser with contaminated . . . and therefore, can't bring myself to use it if it is cloudy. :oops: Also I'm 100% behind Martin, the sliminess is yet another no no, given the length of time I leave 'syphon' tube and bottles in contact with starsan anything that promotes or assists with teh formation of biofilms is a big no no [-X [-X [-X [-X

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm

I see that my post above reads like I use acids for my StarSan. I don't, I use them for brewing water adjustment. I never bother with tap water for my StarSan solutions. I go straight for Ashbeck from Tesco. It's so cheap, why bother faffing about?
Best wishes

Dave

cellone

Post by cellone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Dave S wrote:I see that my post above reads like I use acids for my StarSan. I don't, I use them for brewing water adjustment. I never bother with tap water for my StarSan solutions. I go straight for Ashbeck from Tesco. It's so cheap, why bother faffing about?
I do this but it still goes cloudy and the ph. is higher than 3.5.

cellone

Post by cellone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Aleman wrote:It's not the alkalinity that cause it to go cloudy, it is the chelating agents in the star san complexing with the calcium in the water, while adding acid to reduce the alkalinity will help with the long term stability of the pH, it does not go a long way to eliminating the cloudiness (it does reduce it though) . . . . However, throughout my brewing career I have always equated cloudy sanitiser with contaminated . . . and therefore, can't bring myself to use it if it is cloudy. :oops: Also I'm 100% behind Martin, the sliminess is yet another no no, given the length of time I leave 'syphon' tube and bottles in contact with starsan anything that promotes or assists with teh formation of biofilms is a big no no [-X [-X [-X [-X
Thanks for the info Aleman. I oxi clean my brewing and bottling equipment prior to using it. Would this remove the bio film provide a clean surface ready for sanitation? I rinse thoroughly after use and then clean and sanitise a few hours before use.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:40 am

If you are in a hard water area and you 'soak' in oxiclean for much more than 15-20 minutes you are in danger of creating a calcium 'scale' film that is a right PITA to shift, and even worse, rough allowing all sorts of nasties to get a purchase. A short soak in oxi clean will remove the biofilm though

cellone

Post by cellone » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeah I found that out myself.